Child Portrait - C&C

ytechie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was a photo I took when the sun started to set. Let me know what you think. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm just getting started!

I shot it in Aperture priority mode, 2.8.
613120539_NN7Cb-L.jpg

Cute kid!

The pic doesn't do much for me tho, it seems a little washed out?

Adorable lil girl. The picture looks a little underexposed to me.

I was thinking the same thing-- a little washed out. Maybe but the contrast and the saturation a bit. Also a little noisy. It bothers me that her ponytail is cut off on the side. I know it is difficult to chase them and get a great shot at that age. She is adorable I do have to say. ;)

Do you think it's still something I could correct in post?

Any suggestions on changes in settings? Unfortunately, I accidentally had it set on ISO 1600, even though there was plenty of light. I had it on Aperture priority 2.8, so it chose a shutter speed of 1/1000.

Going down to a more standard ISO would help with the noise.

As for the "flatness" and under exposure, that could be helped in post processing. Give it a shot and see the results.

Up the exposure some and I'd also look at doing a levels adjustment. Depending on the results, a slight colour saturation too. Or hell, just throw it into black and white and add some contrast and see what ya get :)

Do you think it's still something I could correct in post?

Sure, but the thing is that at this level, you want to at least know how to take properly exposed shots without needing the crutch of PPing something that simple to address in camera.

Any suggestions on changes in settings?

Yes... spot metering would have helped.

Placing it on ISO 400 and a shutter speed of 1/250th would have still been PLENTY fast and the exposure would have been identical but with far less noise.

you have that its ok to edit your photos, and well...i just wanted the practice so this is my attempt:

childportrait.jpg

used lightroom 2.4 and photoshop cs4.

in lightroom i used a couple of the presets (auto tone, punch, sharpen portrait) and then played with the exposure, temperature, and fill light a bit. this produced an ok result but the edges on her face were a little too sharp and looked un-natural.

i used photoshop to create a duplicate layer on top of the image and then applied a small gaussian blur, and reduced its opacity until it was sharp and smooth at the same time.

im sure others can produce a much better result, but as stated above...i need the practice on pp'ing photos.

hope you dont mind the edit!

"Yes... spot metering would have helped."

Thanks, that's one thing I was looking for.

"...but the thing is that at this level..."

I know, newbie mistake setting the ISO high to test some indoor shots, and then forgetting to change it. This was a good lesson for me!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back