Choices are always difficult

Bryant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ive saved about 1k and im looking into buying a lens to add to my collection. At the moment I have my 70-200 to fit my sports needs, a 50 f/1.8 for portraits and my 28-135 for a walk around. I have been thinking of the 24-70 f/2.8 to make the L combo and get rid of my 28-135 for some extra cash. It would give me great coverage. Would it be smarter to get a very short, along the lines of 10-22 due to my crop body? Please advise me, as I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

* Have you shot at 28mm and wished you could wider? If so, then yes.... you might want to consider adding a wider zoom to your collection.

* IMO, the 24-70 f/2.8L is a wonderful lens but not particularly great as a walk around lens. Heavier than your 28-135IS as well as short in focal range.

The only way to really determine which lens will serve you best is if you first ask yourself what you need; Wider, faster, longer etc...

Firstly I would try walking around with your 28-135 as if it were a 28-70mm lens. The 24-70mm is a sharper lens so the image quality will improve, but you might find that walking around you prefer the slightly longer focal range.
As for the 10-20mm that lens is a different kettle of fish - instead of enhancing the quality you get with the existing kit its expanding what you are capable of taking - and whilst its a bit too short for prolonged portrate work (it gives and interesting effect, but few want that effect all the time in portrate) it is a brilliant landscapers lens.
Also consider the sigma 10-20mm lens - which is a very popular choice since it is on par with quality with the canon and yet is far cheaper.

Other than the fact that your 28-135 is not an L lens, what don't you like about it?

If you like the focal length, but want a better quality lens, consider the 24-105 f/4L

If you wish it was wider, and don't find yourself using the long end, consider a 17-40 f/4L (or the 16-35 f/2.8 if you've saved up a lot)

If the wide end is wide enough, you aren't using the long end, and you want something faster, consider the 24-70 f/2.8L

If you like your 28-135, but want to test out the ultra-wide waters, consider something in the 10-20 range (I would suggest the Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8)

Do you find yourself wishing you had a UWA or similar? Would taking pics like this interest you?

(Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 lens)

If yes... yeah, you need a 10-20mm, but if not and your interests are elsewhere, that 24-70 is an excellent range on either a cropped or full sensor.

It depends on what you are looking for and what your needs/desires are.

The 24-70m F2.8 L, can be a great lens, although I've heard from some 'pixel peepers' who say the focus is often off. But it's a big heavy lens, it's nick name is 'The Brick'...maybe not something to carry around all day.

Also, I personally feel that 24mm just isn't wide enough for me, on a crop body. Try it yourself and see if you like it.

I would recommend something in the 17-50mm range. That is basically what the 24-70mm lens was designed for, but on film cameras.

The 'best' lens in this range is the Canon EF-S 17-50mm F2.8 IS. It's expensive for a non L lens, but the optical quality is up to L standards. Unfortunatly, the build quality, while good, is not up to L.

For significantly less, you can get the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or the Sigma 18-50mm F2.8m which are both very good for the price you pay.

If having a large aperture isn't all that important to you, I'd suggest the EF-S 17-85mm IS. It's basically the same lens as your 28-135 IS...but wider for crop bodies.

The 10-22mm (or similar Sigma etc) are great...but are Ultra wide angle. They are great if you like or need that...but might not be so good for every day use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back