Christine's sister (Christine as in the car from Steven King's Novel)

AlbertoDeRoma

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I spotted this beaut during a recent trip to Half Moon Bay.

More practice with Silver Efex. Candid feedback is always welcome.

Thanks,

Alberto

Leica Digilux 2, f/2.4, 1/100

Christine%27s%2BAunt.jpg

I learned how to drive a truck in a 1947 Ford two-ton truck like that! It had a tiny V-8 engine and a four-speed manual transmission with a two-speed rear axle. It was one of the first vehicles of its era to have a directional signal: not dual "blinkers" like we have today, but a single, long pointed "arrow" that had signal positions for slow,left,and right hand turn--mimicking the human arm signals for slowing,left,and right hand turning!

Vignette fails the image.
It encroaches to much on the subject, and creates that "haloing" at the top.

I want to like this image, but I can't.
Can you redo it with all the effects except the vignette?

Vignette fails the image.
It encroaches to much on the subject, and creates that "haloing" at the top.

I want to like this image, but I can't.
Can you redo it with all the effects except the vignette?

Thank you for the candid feedback. Here's another attempt (sans vignette - you were right, this photo did not call for a vignette). I also changed the tone a little bit to give it a more vintage look.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Alberto

Christine%27s%2BAunt%2B(no%2Bvignette).jpg

No. 2 is much better to me.:sexywink:

Yup... I like the 2nd one.

The most common mistake I see with "faked" vignette are non-circular (rectangular or oval) shaped vignettes when one is a little too heavy handed in post. It simply becomes unnatural looking. It also rarely works well when the subject fills the frame because it encroaches on the subject itself. If you foresee the use of vignette in a photo, step back and allow a bit of space within the frame for a circular shaped vignette.

Yup... I like the 2nd one.

The most common mistake I see with "faked" vignette are non-circular (rectangular or oval) shaped vignettes when one is a little too heavy handed in post. It simply becomes unnatural looking. It also rarely works well when the subject fills the frame because it encroaches on the subject itself. If you foresee the use of vignette in a photo, step back and allow a bit of space within the frame for a circular shaped vignette.

Thank you for the response. Your logic makes perfect sense (imagine me slapping head and saying "duh"!) Good succinct mini lesson.

Alberto

Nice shot. The second one is much better in my opinion. :thumbup::D

I love to see these old trucks with Sharp color, was it originally color?

Here you go Tulsa. Let me know how you like it. This one was minimally processed. Cropped, softened highlights, if I recall. The light was REALLY bad that day - gray all over - that's why I eventually went with B&W. I need to go back on a sunny day.

Alberto

Christine%27s%2BAunt%2B(color).jpg

Here you go Tulsa. Let me know how you like it. This one was minimally processed. Cropped, softened highlights, if I recall. The light was REALLY bad that day - gray all over - that's why I eventually went with B&W. I need to go back on a sunny day.

Alberto

Christine%27s%2BAunt%2B%28color%29.jpg

let me mess with that, see what I can do

Most reactions

Back