Christmas Photo Shoot C&C please

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by laurah, Nov 29, 2008.

1. laurah

laurah TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    These photos are from a family photo shoot I did on Thursday for Christmas cards. These are the first photos I am posting. Any comments and criticism would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Amber_Cullen

Amber_Cullen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not too bad, I think if you had them step away from the tree a little so it was more blurred and the focus would be more on the family, the background kinda draws away from the family, but thats just my opinion

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Agree; greater separation between subject and background would have resulted in a softer, more pleasing image, however, the subjects are sharp and well exposed. The only other comment I have is that in #1 you have committed the cardinal portraiture sin of having a tree growing out of the head of your subject.

4. laurah

laurah TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the comments about the background. I was so happy to find an evergreen tree in the yard that I didn't think about having them move away from it to soften it up a bit. I totally had not noticed the tree coming out of the head either. I will definitely pay more attention to the background next time.

5. iriairi

iriairi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great facial expressions on the subjects. I think that helps convey their personality. The only other thing that I would add is that the photos seem a bit cool (blue) to me. I might add a touch of warming in post..

6. El2

El2 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cute family. Great job on these. Here is my CC, JMO:

The first picture, looks like the boy is a bit soft or OOF. He was probably moving? Also, it looks a bit on the cool side to me.

The second one is nicely done. A bit too centered for my taste. The sun or light seems to be coming from the left (our right) - you should have had them facing that way to avoid any uneven lighting, or use a reflector or a speedlight.

7. rubbertree

rubbertree TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with all that was said by the others, also, I think you should have backed off a bit in #1 so that the boy was not chopped off at the armpits.