Circles everywhere!

Grifter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi... nice place you have here! :)

I apologise if this is the wrong place to post, but I couldn't find a "technical help" forum. Just a quick question- Has anyone ever encountered this before?

That's what I see when I look through my viewfinder. This happened all of a sudden, without warning. The camera was just sitting on my tripod safe and sound, and then out of the blue, I get circles.

I see it with both lenses, and also without a lens by using my hand to create an iris, so it is an issue with the body. My best guess is excess oil from the shutter got flicked into the works somehow and is refracting light... (?)

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks... :)

Is the camera's mirror in its normal position?

What camera is that?

Nikon F65

I can't see any obvious causes, although if there is an issue with the mirror's alignment, it could be miniscule... I've gave it a thorough clean, and tested all of the movements out, and it seems alright. Nothing major, anyway. It's as if something has vibrated out of whack, but it's strange considering it was just sitting on a tripod.

I think it's definitely refraction being caused from misalignment or some foreign object. If I zoom in, it goes from the circular grid pattern to one large circular smudge. I'm getting a new camera soon, but will be taking it in for service anyway. I was just wondering if anyone had ever experienced this before...

I'll be sure to post anything I find out.

Thanks again! :)

Most reactions

Back