Circular Polarizer - recommendations please

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am looking for a circular polarizer for my 17-40.

I only found one Hoya 77mm from B&H - if I choose Hoya, it will be easy.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/391185-REG/Hoya_XD77CRPL_77mm_Circular_Polarizing_Pro.html

I have B+W 77mm MRC UV filters and never noticed any distortion so prefer to stick with B+W. Search for "B+W 77mm MRC" yielded 3 results. What is the difference between these three? The extra wide one is $260 while slim is $174 (in middle). Below are the three MRC ones ...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...arch=yes&O=productlist.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

What do you recommend/use?

The slim model has no threads for further filters (or standard cap) to be attached. Apparently it's also a little bit fiddly to operate since there is very little to grip when you want to adjust the angle of the polarization.

The wide model, and this is only my guess, has a slightly larger diameter on the filter surface, but the same thread as the others of course. Probably suited for those who wants to use the filter on significantly wider lenses as the Canon 10-22 for example.

The standard one is simply B+W standard, and I ordered one of those yesterday for my 17-55 f2,8 so it better be good! :)

for the cheapest, hvstar.net

You can probably find the B+W 77mm CP for $30-$50 cheaper than B&H

YIKES!

Not only the CP - looks like all Hoya and B+W filters are less.

For that kind of discount, it's worth risk to try them out :)

Thanks for info.

General rule of thumb is:-

To Discount the most expensive (Paying for badges etc)
Discount the cheapos (Often Rubbish)

Go for the middle ground and a name that you know..

Hoya (Three different levels and prices) B+W about the same etc (If you are in the U.K. Jessops do a really cheap but none the less very good own brand range).

Buy the best you can afford. Top quality glass and multi coating techniques all cost money and push up the price. A Polarizor is quite a technical piece of equipment and much under rated / mis understood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back