Cleaning Old Slides

LeftyRodriguez

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.leftyrodriguez.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So, I inherited a treasure trove of old transparencies from my grandparents' extensive world travels in the 70s. Unfortunately, these are pretty dirty, covered in spots and whatnot. I plan on scanning these and doing some touch up in PS, but what is the best way to pre-clean them to try to ease my post-processing workload?

Also, any tips on scanning transparencies with a Canon 8800 scanner for best results?

Thanks.

Try washing one with plain, cool water and a clean soft sponge. Be very gentle on the emulsion side. Hopefully, you won't soak the cardboard mount.

There are commercially manufactured film cleaning products. Check photo supply retailers.

You might want to buy a bunch of modern plastic holders as I bet the cardboard will self-destruct once it gets wet.

For a lot of them, all that may be necessary is a can of air spray to get the dust and hairs off them.

skieur

For a lot of them, all that may be necessary is a can of air spray to get the dust and hairs off them.

skieur

That is exactly what I found with a batch of slides from 1971 that I bought recently, although I used a rocket blower rather than a can of air. Where I have a problem is the ones that have mold on them - so far I have tried Eclipse fluid (which contains methanol) and a PecPad, but that doesn't work. The fungus seems to grow into the emulsion and it just won't shift.

The same company that makes Eclipse advertises a photographic emulsion cleaner called PEC-12. It's expensive (£10 for 118ml) - anyone tried it?

Kevin

Most reactions

Back