Clients printing images without permission from screen shots

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I went to a client / friends house for coffee the other day. As we were chatting, I noticed a horribly pixilated crappy framed image from her last session. It was a maternity shoot/family shoot with her bf's sister, husband and kid as well. When she saw me notice the picture she said, oh yeah, sister in law gave me that.

I said "I'm sorry you have such a poor quality print - SIL must have saved her screen and then cropped it. In the new year we can order you a professional print if you like." It's still upsetting me. They haven't purchased any of the images yet, even though everytime I see them they say they loved them.

How would you handle the same situation?

This incident describes exactly the problem with providing clients with ANY FORM of images until they have payed handsomely for access to the images that a photographer has been commissioned to create...

If you "give" clients low-resolution proofs before selling them a package of any type (digital files,prints,canvas prints, or any combination), your profit has been flushed down the toilet in many cases. ANY image is often enough to satisfy some people...even a lo-rez printed screen cap...

Find better clients...

Heck, you could sue if you want to, but that probably won't help you find better clients.

Only real suggestion I have is to put a 'proof' watermark across the images you post online or at least a watermark with copyright info. Most photo labs won't print them without a release, but there isn't much you can do about somebody saving a screen shot and printing it on their home printer...

Most of my clients are happy to puchase the high res files or professional prints. I honestly dont think this client/firend did it herself - I just need to find a way to address them. The watermark was cropped from the image.

Consider batch watermarking. And not just one watermark. But watermarks, plural, that go across the image and will discourage future theft.

You're client shouldn't be able to just "crop" your watermark out of the image.

Most of my clients are happy to puchase the high res files or professional prints. I honestly dont think this client/firend did it herself - I just need to find a way to address them. The watermark was cropped from the image.

There really isn't a way to address it. If they weren't your friends or friends of friends, you would have never even known it had happened.

Since you do know, you feel slighted, but aside from suing them, which would probably lose you some friends, there isn't much you can do.

I guess, if I were you, I would mention that you saw the print and that you didn't think it showed off your work the way you think it should be. Mention that the print quality was pretty poor and that the images online aren't meant for printing, but that you can create professional prints for them for $? or they can have the full res file for $?.

From there, unless you are prepared to ruin friendships, I would probably not push it any further.

Just my .02

Just say"Hey thanks for the copyright infringment, I'll be going out of business soon, Can I have more coffee? it's quite delicious"

:)

Kerbouchard -thats about what I was thinking - maybe just sending of an email explaining that the images are copyrighted, and I would be happy to provide prints/files for rates listed on my site. They know I charge for high res files - she bought them from me before for a shoot a couple years ago. I dont want to make a huge stink, but I do want to educate them. :)

Hmmm keep us updated should you choose to take further action. I'm kinda curious as to what you can realistically do in this situation.

I’ve done a friend’s cousins wedding, (I did not charge for my time) I gave them the proofs and said if you want any prints it will cost $x per prints, they said no thanks I will scan the ones you gave me and print them myself. My blood just boiled when I hear that.
That was a very valuable lesson I learned, I let it go and refuse to deal with them again.
Just don’t deal with them again and if you do a shoot charge for the shoot not for prints.

Many people have no idea this is illegal, some don't even know it's wrong. Educating your clients is a good start, but as mentioned, if you put your photo 'out there', even if they are low rez. the opportunity will be there.

I should clarify they were taken from the proofing on my website. I use photocart so there is no right click saving so it was a screenshot save.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back