closeup filters anyone?

The ones I played with did a great job, good quality and very effective, but they also give an EXTREMELY shallow depth of field and focal range.

I found I had trouble focusing unless I physically moved the camera closer or farther from the subject. That took some getting used to, but otherwise I was very happy with the results.

Hope that helps.

The problem with close up filters over other macro techniques is that they add more stuff for light to pass through. As a result the images quality degrades. The more you stack, the worse it gets. They're also known for being soft around the edges of the photo.

They're a good idea if you want to have a go at macro work but don't know if you want to spend lots of money on a set of extension tubes (some can be very expensive).

I have a set of Hoya close up filters (+1, +2, +4). Like everyone said, the DOF is very shallow so focusing is hard, the edges are soft and image quality is somewhat degraded. However, I still like them. The set was much cheaper than a macro lens and they get the job done.

You know . . .

For fifty bucks on Ebay you can get a "Wide Angle Converter" that can also be used for Macro work. I'm not actually certain that I have ever released this part of my secret here but ALL of my macro shots have come from this stupid cheapo adapter and I have had some great results.

YES the focusing can be extremely difficult at times but the magnification rate has got to be 1:1 or better depending on the lense you use it on.

Plus with this you get the benefit of trying a super wide angle.

The image quality WILL suffer, yes. If you are looking for total pro results you should buy a good Macro lens and a very high$$$ wide angle, but if you want to play around this is the best money I have ever spent.

Macro example . . .

fly2263.jpg

Wide angle example . . .

lake6532.jpg

Link to buy . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4687&item=3865844653&rd=1

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back