Clouded Glory (C&C)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by AgentDrex, Jun 17, 2010.

1. AgentDrex

AgentDrex No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Here is a photo of some cloud formations behind my apartment:

[​IMG]

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Some very cool cloud formations, a pity the utility company had to put that 'pole and wires right in the middle!

3. AgentDrex

Photos OK to edit
    I am having quite the time attempting to find a place without poles and lines in the way. I don't have much of the finances required to travel and so most of the photos I take will be within walking distance for me (a few miles here and there). So in this photo, I tried to use the lines to draw the viewer towards the clouds. If I had money to travel, I'd rather spend it on a real camera, this A3000IS is cool and all, but way too short of a lens to do some of the shots I want.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  4. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You've got to work with what you've got, right? Good job!

5. AgentDrex

Photos OK to edit
    That is definitely true. I can't remember how many people have told me "Its the photographer, not the equipment". Well, bah humbug. Does anyone realize its not only the photographer but the equipment as well. A short-lensed point&shoot won't pull off what a long-lens can do no matter how professional the photographer is. On the other hand, give a snapshotter a $3000 camera and they will still take snapshots. I just wished people would be honest and say it is both the photographer AND the equipment, not just one or the other.

6. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ya i like the cloud formations! just the foreground is killin it for me.

7. JasonLambert

JasonLambert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I love this photo of the pole and wires... Only thing I see wrong is that someone put them pesky clouds behind them.

8. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Not too bad of a photo just as it is; the poles,lines and transformers give an excellent idea of the scale of the cloud formations. No need to make excuses for it. It is what it is, and it's better than many photos shot with much more costly gear, but with less conviction on the part of the shooter.

9. AgentDrex

Photos OK to edit
    I've been dinking around on the internet and came across an article describing some photography techniques. It mentioned a photo exercise where you walk 20 steps, take a picture, walk another 20 steps take another picture, and so on and so forth. When I do it, I look up and there's a telephone pole, walk 20 more steps and wow, some power lines...GREAT! But I like those transformers on the poles a lot. When the sun hits them right, they just look so, I don't know, industrial. There's beauty in that as well in my humble opinion.

10. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    mmm... really?

It's a not-so-well exposed, off-color picture of a so-so cloud formation with random stuff in it. No real focus points or points of interest.

By and large, clouds themselves really don't make much of a picture. They have to be pretty amazingly special to have any real play, and I don't think you have that here.

11. AgentDrex

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I'm a cloud guy...a simple puff cloud gets me going...I could sit on my back and watch these clouds all day...not all clouds are cool...but the ones in this photo were really neat I thought...like it was a big towering cloud but not in one piece...and the feathering clouds around it were just adding something for me...that pole and lines are staples of my backyard, so if they're going to be in the way, I'm going to make use of them...and I live in Minnesota...so I have to have something tree-related in the shot...thanks for your input manaheim...I guess this photo didn't have a main focus point...just capturing another day in the backyard of Drex....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  12. pmsnel

pmsnel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Maybe a bit obvious, but if you want to capture your clouds without any power lines, could not just climb on the roof of your house or visit a tall building somewhere? It could provide you with a horizon to frame your clouds with, instead of some trees shot from ground level.