Clouds

Geronimo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
clouds.jpg

I would be interested in your opinions about this one. Thanks in advance or if you give a negative review Screw You in advance. :wink: :lol:

Well, ya better break out the lube... :)

Amazing cloud structures, was the wind blowing at ground level? Looks like it was zipping along pretty good up where the clouds are.

Except for the blown highlights this would be a super shot.

And somebody is gonna say the horizon is crooked, but I think it's more a receding coastline give the skewed appearance. Or it might be crooked. :lol:

the cloud structures are interesting, but that is really all. The true interest that holds the viewer is the ground going toward the horizon and then maybe 1/3 of the sky.

The highlights in the sky are overblown to the point they look not so good. I think photobug is right about the horizon, just an illusion.

Well, you asked for it.....

I like this dramatic photo. I like it a lot! Would you try cropping out the lower third of the photo just for kicks and giggles. I'm krazy about the lower third. It is so kewl! The entire photo looks sureal. This was definitely a once-in-a-life time moment and you've captured it ver nicely. you could have added more exposure and it still would have been a winner. You could crop it several different ways and the crops would still be winners.
You did good.

the Rebel

I know the clouds are kinda the subject of your picture...but personally I would prefer the picture if you croped from where that big cloud starts down to the bottom...just my thoughts though...a very good picture

Generally when someone has a cloud photo the photo fails to capture whatever was amazing about the clouds that warranted a picture.

However, your photo is very breathtaking and dramatic. The contrast and black and white is great and really adds to the scene.

If you have more that you took in that same session you should post them. I would also be interested in some color versions to see what type of effect the black and white has on the scene; perhaps color would be less dramatic and ominious.

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Let me play with the orginal some more and see if I can get the details in the clouds. Was not able to really compose these as I wanted. The wind and rising tide, plus the laying on jagged rocks prevented me from framing them exactly how I wanted.

ChrisPol I have several more of these shots but dont have the time to post them right now. After I return from dinner I might be able to post some. Alls I have online right now are these two

142_4204.jpg

142_4205.jpg

On #2, your selection method left a halo on the mountains. You can remove it with the pen tool, but It's still a great photo as is.

Reb

Well here are the other ones. Pretty much the same composition but ehh.

142_4256.jpg

142_4258.jpg

Cannonrebel all the but the black and white are pretty much untouched. Did a slight correction in the contrast of the images but nothing else. The halo might be the way light plays funny tricks around the horizen this time of earth with the temp.

Geronimo, the more photos you share with us is the better they become.

Geronimo, rather than my going through the effort of trying to explain and describe my constructive critique
I wanted to just simply show you what I would have suggested
This outcrop is the only suggestion I have for your photo and this isn't and wasn't intended to be an
improvement--it's just simply a different way of viewing it.......
outcrop.jpg

Your sky is also a keeper as an outcrop onto itself. And it's apparent that you were as infatuated/more infatuated with the sky than you were with your "diamond in the rough".

Your technique resembles the technique of vonnagy's--and that's indeed a compliment. He's pretty much the Guru around here.

I like it that the rock in the foreground has very little detail. The lack of detail keeps the rock from contending with the total concept.

The photo is a little soft. That could be remedied by a number of manipulative techniques, but then you'd probably have to defend the unfairness of manipulation in some instances. As it is, I recognize your photo as pure photography.

I was wondering if you could share information on how you accomplished this wall hanger?
What camera | lense | focal length | ISO | F-Stop | tripod or not | etc

Shot with:
Canon Rebel 300d
18-55mm EFS Canon kit lens
Hoya Polarizing filter

The outcropping was foreground interest but yes the main interest of the photos were the clouds. As far as the softness of the photos, I didnt bother running them thru unsharpness filter to fix that part of it.

#1 & #5
F3.5
shutter speed 1/200
Focal Point 18
ISO 100

#2 & #3
F5
Focal point 18mm
shutter speed 1/160
ISO 100

F3.5
shutter speed 1/125