CoastalConn Moving to Canon-- 7D MarkII

I've been stewing about this all day at work.. :( Not Only did I read the announcement this morning, but then when I went out shooting, a guy I have been tutoring shows up with his D3S and his brand new Tamron 150-600, lol. That shutter sound of 9 FPS made me even madder thinking about the 7Dm2 and Nikons non response. Did Canon finally fix Auto-ISO so you can use exposure compensation in Manual mode? That would really make me consider switching if Nikon hasn't answered by the end of the winter..

When I saw the release I instantly thought "oh... He"ll be pi****."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been stewing about this all day at work.. :( Not Only did I read the announcement this morning, but then when I went out shooting, a guy I have been tutoring shows up with his D3S and his brand new Tamron 150-600, lol. That shutter sound of 9 FPS made me even madder thinking about the 7Dm2 and Nikons non response. Did Canon finally fix Auto-ISO so you can use exposure compensation in Manual mode? That would really make me consider switching if Nikon hasn't answered by the end of the winter..

All about the new Auto-ISO: Canon DLC: Article: Auto ISO operation in the EOS 7D Mark II

I'm not sure about EC w/ M. I'm frankly a little surprised that the Auto-ISO improvements didn't make the "new features" lists -- I didn't see this until I read the DP preview, but I'm really happy Canon's going this direction. These are exactly the sorts of boundary behaviors I've always wished Auto-ISO had. Maybe Nikon already works that way (I don't know), but I know these changes will make an Auto-ISO convert out of me.

The obvious downside to all this extra customization is that there's more to think about when setting up, so shooters who aren't comfortable thinking about "vary this setting first, then that one, unless you've hit whatever minimum..." are going to have a hard time making sense out of all the settings, but I love it to death. Add to this the C1, C2, C3 settings, which mean I can walk in somewhere and set up Auto ISO (along with everything else) for one type of shooting, then store it to C1 and do the same thing for another type of shooting. For motorsports, for instance, I might set C1 up for stop-action and C2 for panning -- stuff like that.

I don't think anyone's going to argue this is a D800 / D810 competitor, btw - there's just nothing in the Canon lineup to match that resolution & DR. But for the market Canon is targeting with the 7D II, this is a very interesting camera.

When I saw the release I instantly thought "oh... He"ll be pi****."
Yup, it is a bit frustrating. I had a laugh though when I saw CoastalConn Moving to 7Dm2.. hmmm...

All about the new Auto-ISO: Canon DLC: Article: Auto ISO operation in the EOS 7D Mark II

I'm not sure about EC w/ M. I'm frankly a little surprised that the Auto-ISO improvements didn't make the "new features" lists -- I didn't see this until I read the DP preview, but I'm really happy Canon's going this direction. These are exactly the sorts of boundary behaviors I've always wished Auto-ISO had. Maybe Nikon already works that way (I don't know), but I know these changes will make an Auto-ISO convert out of me.

The obvious downside to all this extra customization is that there's more to think about when setting up, so shooters who aren't comfortable thinking about "vary this setting first, then that one, unless you've hit whatever minimum..." are going to have a hard time making sense out of all the settings, but I love it to death. Add to this the C1, C2, C3 settings, which mean I can walk in somewhere and set up Auto ISO (along with everything else) for one type of shooting, then store it to C1 and do the same thing for another type of shooting. For motorsports, for instance, I might set C1 up for stop-action and C2 for panning -- stuff like that.

I don't think anyone's going to argue this is a D800 / D810 competitor, btw - there's just nothing in the Canon lineup to match that resolution & DR. But for the market Canon is targeting with the 7D II, this is a very interesting camera.

I think Nikon had a better implementation of Auto-ISO and that is why so many threads over the years have been argumentative.. Canon clearly has caught up to Nikon's Auto-ISO now and it levels the playing field. I shoot in manual with Auto-ISO and use EC to adjust my ISO depending on the scene. It's a great feature and if it not controllable on the 7Dm2 I would instantly cross it off my list...

The non-pro Nikons have U1/U2 on the knob and it is a really handy feature. I have U2 set for my Ospreys in flight and U1 for stationary birds. Every morning I flip to U1 and then U2 and I know all my settings are right where I need them..

For what I shoot the D810 isn't really what I need. For the money I could get a 7dm2 and a 400 F5.6 with TC and be good to go. The 7dm2 is clearly aimed at sports/wildlife group and is clearly missing in the Nikon line-up. One market segment that often gets overlooked is the mom/dad high school sports crowd that would easily plop down the money on this camera.... sighhhh....

One market segment that often gets overlooked is the mom/dad high school sports crowd that would easily plop down the money on this camera.... sighhhh....

You're right, but I've got a hard time believing that most of those moms & dads are going to make use of most of those features. I remember sitting at one of my son's swim meets years ago w/ my 40D, and this guy sits down next to be with a brand-new 60D and 70-200 f/4, I think, and starts asking me what me "settings" were.

Honestly, I'm really, really surprised more manufacturers haven't embraced the "app" idea I've seen on Sonys. I could totally see a camera with specs like this and a way to download a "soccer" app that coaches mom & dad through the settings they need for different shots. Man, that's killer. ;-)

Oh gods APPS on cameras would be a nightmare! Although I could see them working really well in rebel cameras and such - one auto mode and then have "app" scene modes

Oh gods APPS on cameras would be a nightmare! Although I could see them working really well in rebel cameras and such - one auto mode and then have "app" scene modes

No more a nightmare than "Auto" is for us -- don't use it if you don't want it. Besides, you're thinking about it for *your* needs, and that's not what I'm talking about -- I'm talking about those moms & dads that drop a couple grand on a camera & glass and don't know what to do with it.

Lamb its more that I don't want to see camera interfaces start to pick up the apps idea and then suddenly decide to roll them out over all their range (consistency you see).

I'd hate to have to use apps to drive my camera - although on the plus side it could open up a huge legit 3rd party control market that we don't really have at present

I think the Magic Lantern elves will have a field day if they can get access the the low-level stuff. This is getting more and more interesting!

I think the Magic Lantern elves will have a field day if they can get access the the low-level stuff. This is getting more and more interesting!

Sony's got an SDK already.....

Lamb its more that I don't want to see camera interfaces start to pick up the apps idea and then suddenly decide to roll them out over all their range (consistency you see).

I'd hate to have to use apps to drive my camera - although on the plus side it could open up a huge legit 3rd party control market that we don't really have at present

I want to post to TPF from my camera!

I hope this helps or answers the question for some of you, (Coastal even though you already got your D800) The 7D Mark II has exposure compensation while in M and auto ISO. Yup, I'm RTFM already. From page 223 of the manual.

upload_2014-10-28_12-25-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-10-28_12-19-52.png
    upload_2014-10-28_12-19-52.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 131
I hope this helps or answers the question for some of you, (Coastal even though you already got your D800) The 7D Mark II has exposure compensation while in M and auto ISO. Yup, I'm RTFM already. From page 223 of the manual.

View attachment 88039

What you are reading the manual? Who does that?

View attachment 88039

What you are reading the manual? Who does that?

I could not wait to get my hands on something. Good thing I am not interested in video right now, otherwise I would be spending an all nighter with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back