Cokin Z or P for 17-35?

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone! I'm finding more and more times when I need a CPOL and ND/GND filter as my work progresses. I've always been interested in the Cokin series as I won't have to be holding any filters in my hands to cause unevenness or blur. So, my question to you is:

Will the Cokin Z-series adapter vignette at 17mm on an FX camera? Do you think that's a viable option for my needs? I don't know how I'd attach a CPOL to the mix, should I use this system, though. Perhaps attach the whole system to the front of a CPOL? This would really concrete my need for the Z-series over the P.

So, what do you think?
Mark

I have a couple of the Cokin "P" filters, although I don't use them much. I haven't noticed any vignetting using a 24mm on a Nikon N90S. I have seen an article where you can cut off the leading edges of the filter holder (it will still hold two filters) to reduce/eliminate vignetting on wider lenses.

The Cokin CPL is round and fits into the slot nearest the lens, allowing it to rotate. I do not have that particular filter.

Z Pro, for sure. You can purchase 4X4 polarizers for the Z. You then rotate the holder.

I have both the P and Z and I can assure you, anything wider than about 20 and the holder WILL be in view, even with the P low profile holder.

I am not terribly fond of the Cokin filters, I perfer Sing-ray and Lee but be that as it may, unless you never plan on using anything other than the 17-35 than you are not buying a system for that lens. You need to buy for your whole system.

With that said. Lee advises that in general anything wider than 20mm has a possibility of vignetting. The basic Lee holder, while more expensive, can be built to hold from one to four filters. Lee also has a series of wide angle step up rings that are thinner than the standard rings. You might want to contact Lee support directly and see if they can advise you on your particular concern. They even make a dedicated setup for the Nikon 14-24mm. The LEE Camera Filters System - Includes Filter Holders, Adaptor Rings and Lens Hoods If you go with Cokin, go with the Z holder.

The holder keeps that filter quite a ways from the front of the lens and is designed to hold more than one filter. With the Lee at least you could cut it down to a single filter holder. Not sure if that is possible with the Cokin.

The holder keeps that filter quite a ways from the front of the lens and is designed to hold more than one filter. With the Lee at least you could cut it down to a single filter holder. Not sure if that is possible with the Cokin.
Yes, they make a low profile P holder that has a wide slot up tight against the lens for the CP that was mentioned earlier and then one slot in front of that for the filter. It still sticks out too far for a 20mm.
Cokin P Wide Angle Holder PW700

Will it vignette with the Z-PRO filter holder, though? I understand it will with the P filter holder.

Mark

The alternative that has not been mentioned. Do not go wider than 20mm and take a couple of steps back. The difference between 17mm and 20mm is very small.

Will it vignette with the Z-PRO filter holder, though? I understand it will with the P filter holder.

Mark

There is a good likely hood that it will as the filter holder is three slots deep. Even in the closest slot you still have holder sticking out that may be in the FOV.

Not so fast there Little Ranger. One thing that didn't get mentioned. No all filters work well with wide/ultrawides. CPOL for example. The FOV is wider than the effective coverage from the filter. Sort of like looking at a TN monitor screen from the side. You need to keep that in mind as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back