Community College Courses??

Lacrossedad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So here is my story. Back in college, 82-86 I first got into photography. Got the job as dark room manager and learned to develop B&W and print pics for the weekly newspaper on campus and candid yearbook stuff. I was always my kids sports photographer, I bought and used for a long time the Nikon D70s. I got both girls thru college so a treated myself to a D500 and the 16-80 and the 200-500 lens. I have been having a blast shooting birds and wildlife.

Here is the question. My local community college has a couple photography courses. Has anyone taken these kind of courses? Are they worth the time and money? I am learning little by little with this new camera, but could I get more from a class?

Probably. I've taken noncredit adult continuing ed classes and they've been good. I've found too it can lead to an opportunity to get some critique or follow up with the instructor. The one I took on B&W darkroom work was well worth it to learn the techniques and best practice.

Personally I think any course would be worth looking into, even if it's a rehash of things you already know, beside it's fun and gives you something to do when your not out making pictures.

I took courses at my local college.
Some of the best money I've spent.
You don't know what you don't know...and I made a huge amount of friends and industry contacts.
The teachers are super friendly and will often refer clients to you if the clients can't afford the top pros.

For those in the Vancouver, BC area.
Langara. Continuing Studies: Programs & Courses : Photography

I took classes in college even though I was already on the student paper. :allteeth: Easy A's, and the counted towards the required electives. :allteeth: But was nice to have access to fully set up dark rooms, and photo studio's. I was always in there. The prof's just let me do my thing.

So here is my story. Back in college, 82-86 I first got into photography. Got the job as dark room manager and learned to develop B&W and print pics for the weekly newspaper on campus and candid yearbook stuff. I was always my kids sports photographer, I bought and used for a long time the Nikon D70s. I got both girls thru college so a treated myself to a D500 and the 16-80 and the 200-500 lens. I have been having a blast shooting birds and wildlife.

Here is the question. My local community college has a couple photography courses. Has anyone taken these kind of courses? Are they worth the time and money? I am learning little by little with this new camera, but could I get more from a class?

Very difficult question. I can't speak for your institution, don't know where you are, but I can speak to the general state of such classes in what I assume are similar colleges around the country. It's a real crap shoot. You could end up with a very good instructor and learn a lot and/or you could end up with a barely competent instructor who will mislead you as much as help. So find out who is teaching the class and make the effort to go visit that person. Get a cup of coffee and ask them questions about the class and about their qualifications.

Joe

I'm with Joe on this... it isn't so much that it's a college course... it's really about the quality and qualifications of the instructor.

I've noticed some of the adult education (non-credit) classes are very basic introductory classes. It sounds like you're probably being introductory level stuff and looking for more advanced learning.

I bring this up because I have both a niece and a nephew who went to different schools, both took photography classes... and I was underwhelmed with the quality of what they learned. They didn't understand some very basic concepts and when I asked if their instructor covered it, they both said no. (they both swear they never heard the term "exposure triangle" and I had to ask they actually paid attention during classes or missed any classes.)

One took a more advanced class that covered studio photography and lighting. He told me on day 1, the instructor took them into the studio, showed them the lights... and told them to shoot photos and submit them. That was the whole course. He claims there was no actual training regarding types of lighting techniques, use of light modifiers, the inverse-square law, flash metering, etc. There was only training on how to operate the lights... but nothing about "why".

BTW, these were both classes that counted toward credit hours.

If you can get an instructor who is passionate and has experience... I think it could be a great opportunity.

I have noticed that some photographers (pros) will occasionally host "MeetUp" groups (meetup.com) and while some of these are broad (you can find photography clubs) some of them host workshops that are often very specific.... e.g. HDR workshop, or Macro workshop, or Portraiture workshop, etc. Some MeetUps are free... some are paid (the MeetUp event will tell you if there are any fees. I find that the more specific in-depth workshops do tend to be paid ... vs. the "let's all get together and take photos" events which tend to be free.)

learning is always positive. Everyone knows things that you can learn. You know things that someone else can learn. Nobody knows everything.

For the novice, I always encourage the formal structure of a classroom complete with assignments and critiques/reviews. But with your background, I think an entry level photography class would be more redundant than practical. As many of the above gentlemen stated, it all depends on the class/instructor and your level of expertise. But .... (the big 'but') ... I think what would most helpful, (assuming you have a good level of expertise/competency), is a class in photograph manipulation ... as in a PhotoShop class.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back