Compact DC's any good?

iced_lemontea

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have only used compact DC's ( from 110mm film to digital ) and DSLR's are everywhere now, is it really time to say goodbye to my old ( literally ) point and shoot now?

Any thoughts??

As long as it works for you, keep the P&S.

Using a dSLR to it's capabilities involves a learning curve to produce photos that noticeably exceed the capabilites of most P&S cameras.

A dSLR must be held differently, has substantially more controls and options that must be discovered and understood.

All dSLR images must be developed (image editing post production work) to one degree or another to display their full potential, so dSLR photographers learn about aspect ratios, the exposure triad, depth-of-field, composition, pixel dimensions, resolution, and myriad other technical details related to photo presentation.

Last edited:
Well, it depends what you want. If you are comfortable taking shots with a small camera, and you want something small and light that you can slip into your pocket, then no, a DSLR won't do much for you, but a fancier P&S like a high end Sigma or Canon or Nikon will give you sharper, clearer, more vibrant pictures. However, if you want to be serious about pursuing photography as a hobby or career, and you want more creative control over the image, then a DSLR is the right path. There will be a learning curve, but there are great resources out there.

@KmH - yeah that's what am afraid of, using DSLR will be too complicated if you're used to P&S and am pretty sure i will end up using everything in AF mode :lol: Thanks by the way.

@TiCoyote - i was actually looking at Panasonic LX3 :drool:if you were to get one P&S for yourself what would that be? Oh yeah, and thanks for the advice too

Most reactions

Back