Videography with Canon R6ii

ketan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I have always used old time handycam extensively followed by iPhone 6 and now iPhone 14 max pro for video shooting. Till recently I had Canon 6D as DSLR so never tried videography with that. Now with my R6ii which I hear is great at video, so I tried to use it for video.
I compared my video taken with Canon R6ii to iPhone 14 pro max. Upon zooming R6ii was much sharper and saturated and I was quite satisfied. However, I found video shot with iPhone to be more smoother and less jerky and easy on eye.

I am sure I am missing something technically on R6ii and request if anyone can guide.

Thanks

I shoot a little video on the R6. My settings are 4K 29.97. The video is fairly smooth for hand held. I do stabilize some in post. What are your settings? frame rate?

I shoot a little video on the R6. My settings are 4K 29.97. The video is fairly smooth for hand held. I do stabilize some in post. What are your settings? frame rate?
Hi,

My settings are 4K PAL with frame rate of 25.

Sorry for my ignorance but I was not even aware that like raw photo, you can do post processing in video also..

Ketan

Hi,

My settings are 4K PAL with frame rate of 25.

Sorry for my ignorance but I was not even aware that like raw photo, you can do post processing in video also..

Ketan

There are a few things that could cause the jittery playback.
1. Your computer doesn't have the processing power
2. The editing program project does not match the file settings
3. Shutter speed too slow
4. Too much panning for the low frame rate. Higher frame rates will run the battery down faster

My personal preferences. I shoot photos in raw, but not for video. I started out with camcorders and when I got my first DSLR that could shoot raw I found for my projects that raw wasn't necessary. I adjust a little in post such as contrast or saturation. PrPro has film presets that I add at 20%. Just enough to give punch. My camera is set to Standard picture style. This only applies to .jpg or video. The photo raw files are still raw.

On the R6 if I am shooting photos in Manual mode and want to take a little video, I keep in the Manual and use the RED record button. The only changes you can make while recording is the EV + or -. If you want full access to all the settings then you have to turn the dial from M (or whatever you use) to the Movie icon.

The video file from the camera is somewhat compressed, but still need to bring into an editor and export the format to upload to Vimeo or YouTube or FB. I have an old tablet with the grands' little videos I make for them and for the old tablet I have to save a very small file for playback.

I save my original video files from the camera and the edited compressed version. The edited compressed version is 4K h.264 2 pass encoding with a rate of 25 to 30. I use PrPro and it does have exports presets that I tweak.

There are many Canon R6 tutorials on YouTube on setting up the camera for video. I watched a bunch and can't remember now which are the better ones. It depends on your shooting style and how you want to edit.

There are a few things that could cause the jittery playback.
1. Your computer doesn't have the processing power
2. The editing program project does not match the file settings
3. Shutter speed too slow
4. Too much panning for the low frame rate. Higher frame rates will run the battery down faster

My personal preferences. I shoot photos in raw, but not for video. I started out with camcorders and when I got my first DSLR that could shoot raw I found for my projects that raw wasn't necessary. I adjust a little in post such as contrast or saturation. PrPro has film presets that I add at 20%. Just enough to give punch. My camera is set to Standard picture style. This only applies to .jpg or video. The photo raw files are still raw.

On the R6 if I am shooting photos in Manual mode and want to take a little video, I keep in the Manual and use the RED record button. The only changes you can make while recording is the EV + or -. If you want full access to all the settings then you have to turn the dial from M (or whatever you use) to the Movie icon.

The video file from the camera is somewhat compressed, but still need to bring into an editor and export the format to upload to Vimeo or YouTube or FB. I have an old tablet with the grands' little videos I make for them and for the old tablet I have to save a very small file for playback.

I save my original video files from the camera and the edited compressed version. The edited compressed version is 4K h.264 2 pass encoding with a rate of 25 to 30. I use PrPro and it does have exports presets that I tweak.

There are many Canon R6 tutorials on YouTube on setting up the camera for video. I watched a bunch and can't remember now which are the better ones. It depends on your shooting style and how you want to edit.

Thank you very much for the detailed reply and surely I have a lot to learn for DSLR - Videography.

I use new MacBook Pro so processing power is not an issue and I noticed the difference while running video shot with R6ii and IPhone on same Macbook.

While I will explore more and learn, one question for which I never got an answer anywhere. In your message you have mentioned that issue can be shutter speed. I never bothered about shutter speed. In fact I have never been able to understand that what shutter speed has to do in video. For photography, yes, shutter speed of 1/30 vs 1/4000 will make vast difference because we are freezing a frame. For video how does it matter since this is motion..

Anyways, kindly guide what care to be taken for shutter speed.

Thanks

Thank you very much for the detailed reply and surely I have a lot to learn for DSLR - Videography.

I use new MacBook Pro so processing power is not an issue and I noticed the difference while running video shot with R6ii and IPhone on same Macbook.

While I will explore more and learn, one question for which I never got an answer anywhere. In your message you have mentioned that issue can be shutter speed. I never bothered about shutter speed. In fact I have never been able to understand that what shutter speed has to do in video. For photography, yes, shutter speed of 1/30 vs 1/4000 will make vast difference because we are freezing a frame. For video how does it matter since this is motion..

Anyways, kindly guide what care to be taken for shutter speed.

Thanks
Shutter speed should be at least double the frame rate. I shoot much higher than double.

To see if your MacBook Pro has enough processing power look at minimum specs of a video editing program and compare.

I don't have an iPhone, but I did google compression of video. It appears that when transferring files online or to another device it compresses the video. That would explain why you have smooth playback on your MacBook Pro of the iPhone video vs the Canon video. One of many resources I found:

One way to compare video files on your MacBook Pro is to look at file sizes for your iPhone clips vs the Canon video clips. They would both have to be the same length in time to compare.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back