Patrick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kylesphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here's one for you.
What's the lifespan of a compact flashcard?
Reason I ask is that one of my 256 cards has seemed to have bit the dust.

Took some photo's, used a card reader to up load them to the computer and when I put it back in the camera I got an error. Even tried using it with the computer again and it wouldn't read it either.

Bout 1.5 years old and maybe 2000 clicks and movies.

That seems a little odd, I have 2 1gb CFs and have taken over 8 thousand shots since last July. Is it a microdrive? I have hear negative thinks about them.

Yeah, A microdrive card is basically a mini-hard drive. If you drop it, you can wreck the mini-disc inside and ruin the card.

As far as any other CF card, they are solid-state, and should be much harder to kill.

If all else fails most cards have a several year warranty, but it's weird that yours died so soon. What brand is it?

While we are speaking of brands does anyone else notice the fit sizing difference between certain brands? I have a Lexar and a SanDisk compact flash card but the Lexer seems to fit smoothly into the CF slot whereas the SanDisk kind of grinds its way in. It feels as if I'm damaging the camera because I have to force it in and I can literally feel the grinding while I push it. At first I thought it was just the SanDisk card I got but I was able to try another one only to have the same problem. Am I the only one?

I had a similar problem with a Lexar Fire Wire reader, and a SanDisk 1 gig CF card. No answer though as to why.

PhotoJoe said:
I had a similar problem with a Lexar Fire Wire reader, and a SanDisk 1 gig CF card. No answer though as to why.
So it's not just me. I think SanDisk might have its measurements off by about a millimeter or so which makes for a tight squeeze. It's too bad because SanDisk has some pretty good reviews but Lexar has good reviews too. I guess it looks like I'm just going to have to use other brands for now.

I guess it looks like I'm just going to have to use other brands for now.

Which brands will you try? Will you swap the drive first, or the card, or both?

It was a Lexar 256mb (so they say..LOL always showed 248MB) 12X
I tried reformatting it in the camera. When I try it on the PC, everytime I try to access it all I get is the hour glass thing and an error message about 4 minutes later.

I'll try sending Lexar an email but I have no idea where the sales reciept would be. Guess I should start saving those :cry:

PhotoJoe said:
Which brands will you try? Will you swap the drive first, or the card, or both?
The only thing I can do is get a different brand because the CF slot I'm talking about is on my camera. What I'll most likely do is take my camera into the store and try out some cards to see how they fit first before I buy.

So far my Lexar is working fine and I'll let you guys know if there is a problem. The SanDisk also works fine except that it requires more nudging to get in compare to the smooth fit of the Lexar. You guys can also read CF card performance reviews at
dprview and make up your own minds.

Patrick I don't know what you tell you. Failing compact flash cards are pretty rarely. Well, at least I haven't heard many complaints. Of course, anything manufactured will have some bad batches. I think you might have just been unlucky. Lexar also has some kind of image rescue software. You might want to check that out if you really want those pictures.

Harpper- I have the same issue with my istD. My Lexar 128s fall right out, I had to put tape flags on my Kingston 512s. [shrug]

Harpper said:
PhotoJoe said:
Patrick I don't know what you tell you. Failing compact flash cards are pretty rarely. Well, at least I haven't heard many complaints. Of course, anything manufactured will have some bad batches. I think you might have just been unlucky. Lexar also has some kind of image rescue software. You might want to check that out if you really want those pictures.

I've seen the image rescue on there site, but they only have the upgrade available for XP, any ideas?

Patrick said:
I've seen the image rescue on there site, but they only have the upgrade available for XP, any ideas?
That's too bad to hear. At this point I think Lexar's support is your only hope. You've emailed them but they also have live chat or phone support: here

It could also be that you need to update the firmware on the card. I believe you have to send it in for that. Some older CF cards aren't compatible with newer cameras without a firmware update. Anyway, contact their support. Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

Most reactions

Back