Composite Face

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This face is made up of bits and pieces of several pictures. It is meant to be an example of how to push processing faces too far. I know its not a standard portrait but is it interesting as a piece of art?

Forehead, eyes, nose, hair and mouth roughly cobbled together then mirrored right side onto left. Smoothed everything and added the spots to the nose.
Comments welcome.
face1a.jpg

I'm sorry, but for me it's a no. An interesting piece of art doesn't need to be aesthetically pleasing, but it should be at least thought-provoking, and I don't find this to be. Could it be a commentary on why processing portraits are "against the rules," or on the implications of these kinds of composites on honesty/societal values/media influence...? Possibly. I am just not getting any of those commentaries from this picture.

In all fairness I've seen far worse at the Tate Modern in London.

I'm sorry, but for me it's a no. An interesting piece of art doesn't need to be aesthetically pleasing, but it should be at least thought-provoking, and I don't find this to be. Could it be a commentary on why processing portraits are "against the rules," or on the implications of these kinds of composites on honesty/societal values/media influence...? Possibly. I am just not getting any of those commentaries from this picture.
Interesting feedback.
Would it be more interesting if it was more obviously a composite?

Interesting feedback.
Would it be more interesting if it was more obviously a composite?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it would be more interesting. Right now it looks more like ham-fisted editing and there's nothing to let us know if it was done intentionally to make a statement or unintentionally because of a lack of skill/taste. A more obvious composite might suggest a deliberate statement, something that would make the viewer think, "Huh, I wonder why he did it in this obvious, sort of garish way? What's he trying to say?"

Gets me to wondering what Andy Warhol would have with all the Lightroom gimmicks.

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it would be more interesting. Right now it looks more like ham-fisted editing and there's nothing to let us know if it was done intentionally to make a statement or unintentionally because of a lack of skill/taste. A more obvious composite might suggest a deliberate statement, something that would make the viewer think, "Huh, I wonder why he did it in this obvious, sort of garish way? What's he trying to say?"

Alrighty version 2.0:

Changed eyes, hair, skintone and mouth shape. I kept the symmetry to imply "dollface"
face1b.jpg

Not sure if Modern Art or being Trolled.

They both make me think of an error. Something went wrong with the software, my monitor, or a memory card malfunction.

Version 2 reminds me of the last time I went to the beach. Ouch!

Well, now it's definitely intentional over-editing, though I'm not sure I see the composite nature being exaggerated.

I'm not sure what you're going for with this. I mean, I can kind of see what sort of point could be made by compositing a portrait and deliberately over-editing: "Today's beauty standards are being made more and more unrealistic by the manipulation of fashion photographs, and so here is an obvious composite with exaggerated skin tone, skin smoothing, eye-widening (etc) to show (and perhaps protest) just how unrealistic the standard is, and how it can fracture society or identity or truth..."

I suppose I just don't understand what message I'm supposed to be getting from her face being composited (but not obviously so) and the editing being so over-the-top. And I can't imagine someone editing this way without a reason. Well, let me qualify that: I can't imagine someone who is already practiced in photography and who has a clear sense of what and how they want to photograph/edit would edit the photo this way without a reason. I just don't know what the reason is :(

Limr I am not clear on this and would like to see the issue elucidated. Should posters who according to you may not qualify as "someone who is already practiced in photography and who has a clear sense of what and how they want to photograph/edit..." refrain from posting images in this forum?

Limr I am not clear on this and would like to see the issue elucidated. Should posters who according to you may not qualify as "someone who is already practiced in photography and who has a clear sense of what and how they want to photograph/edit..." refrain from posting images in this forum?
Perhaps I misread the post, but not once did I see Limr say that anyone is unqualified to post here.

Most reactions

Back