Valls

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys!
So, I took the following shots... Which one do you think is better and why? Also, what would you have me change if I were to take this shots again? Please disregard the post processing, its a bit different for each of them!

9c6cdfd14fa71ef567d1abac71ab7f21.jpg
23b7b721faa13334b1a71855d25383ba.jpg

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Cheers [emoji6]

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Neither! Both have severe focus problems and DOF issues. Was this shot hand held at a slower shutter??? Need to decide what you want as the focal point. I like the down low angle, but you have to much competing for attention. If the dandelion is the focus point then make sure it's sharp, then use DOF to fade out the distraction in the back. You could also move to get the distracting trees out of the background.

Ok, I uploaded the photos via tapatalk and the quality has been trashed... I didnt see that by the time i uploaded! I will upload a better resolution and i wish to hear from you again, in a sec!

I assume the seed head is the subject, so I would crop to that. It's not in an optimum place in the frame, but maybe this will give you an idea.

9c6cdfd14fa71ef567d1abac71ab7f21 - Version 2.jpg

I looked at your link and I think I see what you're going for but there are several issues. The white seed head against the white clouds is not standing out the way you want in #1 and that very dark tree in #2 is distracting and not blurred enough to fade out (also the seed head is out of focus). All those little weeds/blades of higher grass are distracting from your main subject. I know you said to ignore the processing but have to say that the contrast and clarity are way too high in both.
In my opinion, the DOF needs to be shallower in this type of shot and backlighting is usually what makes it go from boring to good. Biggest issue is the harsh light. Nice light can make a lot of other issues fade away. Try this again closer to sunrise or sunset, shooting both with and into the soft light for different effects and be sure to watch your backgrounds and angle yourself so that there are no large trees or big branches in the background. The best advice I ever got on this forum was to look all around the viewfinder before clicking. Should be an obvious step but when you're concentrating on your subject you don't always see what else is in the frame. I still sometimes forget to do this but when I do it makes a huge difference.

Would love to see another attempt. You live in a beautiful country, looking forward to seeing more.

I don't think I can add much more to what @SquarePeg said other than maybe move in closer on the seed head. Use a low tripod or sand bags to prop your camera on to minimize camera shake, open up your aperture to limit your DOF, and focus sharp on the seed head and the stem that supports it.

Composition wise, they are spot on assuming the seed head is the primary subject. However, that doesn't always guarantee a successful image. It is one component.

Composition is good.
Agree with Squarepeg. The only other thing I would add is bring scissors and cut the other weeds down so they don't compete for attention.

Just wanted to come back and thank @vintagesnaps because I am 99% sure she gave me that "best advice" I mentioned earlier. Sorry should have thanked you before now!

Thank you all for your advice! I actually saw the tree in the background and, for some reason, i thought it was a good idea at the moment... I will give that another shot if it is still at the same place! And will have some scissors hahaha

About the post processing, i did what i could with my cellphone, with Photoshop express... I knew it wasnt good, but I dont have my computer with me atm... Im travelling untill Sunday! But anyway, thanks! I will hold my clarity finger back a little hahaha and contrast as well...

Thanks a lot everyone! Your advice is muuuch appreciated!
Cheers!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back