Composition Problem

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by rickyg, Nov 4, 2006.

1. rickyg

rickyg TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi guys,

Going through some pictures I found the following one.
    [​IMG]

There is something just sortof off about it. I generally like it, but find it a bit distracting in the way its composed. A bit too busy if you will.

One thought I had was to essentially split it onto two halves, since they kinda stand out on their own:
    [​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Nothing too spectacular, but could use some comments and tips as to how to approach this type of subject in the future. I don't know why but trash on the streets kinda enthralls me as a subject for photographs :D

Thanks!
    Ricky

Ps. This is my first time posting here, so I hope I got this within the guidelines. Feel free to make changes to the original picture if needed.

2. struss

struss TPF Noob!

I guess you liked the colors and texture in this trash pile. Just keep trying any composition. You'll find your favorite one in the end....

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I remember the time I posted a photo to Critique which also had the main subject on the left, with something leading towards a sort of empty right. And I was then told that the picture would have been better if things had started on the right and were leading to the left. That, so I was told, was the way we look.

At the time - and with the knowledge of the scene "in real life" in my head - I did not like the flipped over image, though everyone else said that flipped over horizontally it would look a lot better.

Now I see this as a photo only, without ever having seen the scene, and my immediate thought was: this empty coke can belongs to the RIGHT. It is on the wrong side. :scratch: Maybe there is something in what I was taught here in Critique all that while back in so far that we DO look from the right to the left and want a starting point on the right and not emptiness there?

Could flipping the pic over do the trick for you?