Computer issue

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i got me a new PC and the sucker takes forever to start up.

I even put a new XP on there but still, just takes way too long to start up.

Any idea what it could be?

Specs on the computer? What other programs do you have on? What programs start when you boot through registry or startup folder? It's hard to say without knowing some of that info.

Pentium 4, 1024 RAM and procesor speed 3Ghz. The computer is completely empty, nothing is on there so it should start up fast.

Just so you know, having "nothing on there" has nothing to do with computer speed. Hard drive space is like room left on your CF card in your camera. It doesn't get slower as it fills up.

Also, what programs start up with your computer? Stuff like Quicktime, MSN Messenger, Yahoo messenger (and the like), adobe launcher....all that good stuff....it takes up processing cycles and loads into ram. this takes time.

This is a brand new computer? I'd suggest getting all the latest drivers.

Look for these

Chipset drivers (your chipset is determined by what motherboard you have. It usually says the chipset in the name.)
video drivers (nvidia, ati, or intel most likely makes your graphics. go to their site and download the appropriate driver)
sound drivers (creative, intel, etc...find out what you have and go to their site to download it)

If you need further help, let me know. This is my thing.

I tried to type everything off the hardware thing but i couldnt find anything about chipset drivers there, only in the BIOS settings but there it only said how it was set and not what kind it was. Heres some more infos i got.

Motherboard: P4P 800 Asus Motherboard
Graphic card: Radeon X800 Series

Oh i forgot to mention that now i got a really crazy messge when i started it up: Reboot and select proper boot device and press a key.

I've been experiancing something similar to this, the differance is it did not allways do it. I am using an old computer running on ME and as of late it has been taking two to four minuets to initialize the software.

It started when I had a handfull of programs I don't use removed by a friend of mine who is a computer technitian. What I think it is, is the computer is trying to initialize software that is no longer pressent.

Did you remove any programs that you had no use for from the computer when you got it?

I've been experiancing something similar to this, the differance is it did not allways do it. I am using an old computer running on ME and as of late it has been taking two to four minuets to initialize the software.

It started when I had a handfull of programs I don't use removed by a friend of mine who is a computer technitian. What I think it is, is the computer is trying to initialize software that is no longer pressent.

Did you remove any programs that you had no use for from the computer when you got it?

THe first time i got it it acted like this so i put a new WIndows XP on there. This really sucks now:(

sounds like a hardware / driver issue.

I DLed the newest driver for the motherboard and graphiccard as well, also ran a virus scan and still no change.

go into the BIOS and make sure your boot order is correct (i like to use CD then HD) but if your HD is on the bottom of the list it will check for all the deivces before it gets to the HD...

anyway after that do a start --> run --> msconfig

go into the startup menu and look for stuff that really doesn't need to startup...

i understand you said you did a clean install but did you start installing software? or is the computer genuinely clean no nothing on it...

did you recently add more ram? sometimes a PC will benchmark slower than with a previous setup (less ram)

Did that as well..no change..

Can you look at the task manager and tell us what you have running?

How long exactly is it taking to boot up?

I assume performance otherwise is fine?

Can you look at the task manager and tell us what you have running?

How long exactly is it taking to boot up?

I assume performance otherwise is fine?

It takes about a little over minute to boot up and the performance is fine.

Heres whats running according to the task manager:

alg.exe
taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
ati2evxx.exe (one in system and one in Admin)
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (5 times.one named in localm two in network and one in system)
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
ctfmon.exe
System

It takes about a little over minute to boot up and the performance is fine.

Heres whats running according to the task manager:

alg.exe
taskmgr.exe
explorer.exe
ati2evxx.exe (one in system and one in Admin)
spoolsv.exe
svchost.exe (5 times.one named in localm two in network and one in system)
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
smss.exe
ctfmon.exe
System

These are normal startup processes. Around a minute is normal to me unless you are logging off and on.

Well, my other computer who isnt nearly as strong as this one is jam packed with stuff and loads up within 20-30 seconds..

Most reactions

Back