Concert photography (what should I use)?

I have been a concert photographer for a few years now and i never leave without my 70-200mm f2.8, my 50mm prime and suprisingly my 24-105mm. :)

I shoot concerts on a regular basis with varying light conditions. Mostly jazz artists and the lighting varies from very well lit to not much light at all.

I shoot with 2 Nikon D300 bodies and own one of the lenses you mentioned (18-200 VR II). Your 50mm f/1.8 will work fine, but won't give you closeups. Your Tamron 90mm f/2.8 will be good enough most of the time, but you will be shooting wide open.
The lenses I use most often are: 70-200 f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.8. Occasionally, I'll use the 50mm f/1.4, but only when really close to the stage. On the D300, the noise picks up considerably at ISO settings above 800. I tend to shoot at 1600, with a white balance set to 2700 degrees Kelvin. My typical exposure is around 1/40 second at f/4. Shoot in RAW mode and use the histogram display and the "highlights" turned on. I'll meter using the spot meter setting, then adjust the exposure based on what I see on the histogram.

In all the venues I shoot, flash is strictly forbidden.

I shoot concerts on a regular basis with varying light conditions. Mostly jazz artists and the lighting varies from very well lit to not much light at all.

I shoot with 2 Nikon D300 bodies and own one of the lenses you mentioned (18-200 VR II). Your 50mm f/1.8 will work fine, but won't give you closeups. Your Tamron 90mm f/2.8 will be good enough most of the time, but you will be shooting wide open.
The lenses I use most often are: 70-200 f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and a 85mm f/1.8. Occasionally, I'll use the 50mm f/1.4, but only when really close to the stage. On the D300, the noise picks up considerably at ISO settings above 800. I tend to shoot at 1600, with a white balance set to 2700 degrees Kelvin. My typical exposure is around 1/40 second at f/4. Shoot in RAW mode and use the histogram display and the "highlights" turned on. I'll meter using the spot meter setting, then adjust the exposure based on what I see on the histogram.

In all the venues I shoot, flash is strictly forbidden.

..dude seriously... 1/40?? how on earth are you managing to get anything usuable with that speed? lowest i can use is 1/80 and thats only usually if the singer is standstill but mind you i do a lot of punk and rock bands that move about constantly... but still thats very low.

Concerts are my blood, they keep me going.

Like has been mentioned before, flash is never permitted (unless it's a smaller club, then double double triple check with the promoter).

I usually shoot at 2.8-4.0 1/60-1/100 iso 400-640 depending on the situation, how fast the band moves, lighting set up etc..

My two side kicks are my 50mm 1.8 and my 24-70mm 2.8, I'm investing in a wider angle in a month or so.

Just get out and practice at smaller shows first and get your feel for certain lighting situations. Just when you think you have it all figured out, a band will walk out on stage back lit with only one red front light and you're ****ting yourself.

I want to get into concert photography. Any suggestions on how to get my foot in the door? I know a couple musicians but I don't think they can afford to hire me.

Getting your foot in the door doesn't usually involve being paid...

Lenses are where it's at with concert photography. I use 50mm 1.8 and my 24-70mm 2.8 almost exclusively for all concert assignments. Typically my ISO is set anywhere from 400-1600 based on credential limitations and stage lighting.

Just go out and shoot as often as possible and get to know how your gear responds to the light. After that - it'll be obvious to you where you'll need to fill in the gaps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back