Constant Red Pixel

BrandonS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.topspeedphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just noticed that I always have a red dot in the same area on all my pictures. It just so happened to show up on something black and was noticeable. It's on my D-80 and it's only 3 months old. Would this be something they would fix under warranty?

I've noticed it every once and a while on my pics as well, I think the warranty should cover it, contact them. But its an easy clone to get rid of it so Im not gonna bother, until something worse comes up.

It's just a hot pixel. They come and go over time, but the more crammed sensors (like this one) happen to be more prone to it. I wouldn't worry about it unless they're dead-center in the frame because they're invisible in prints and also very easy to clone out. You can send it back to Nikon and they'll re-map out the hot pixels for you, but there's no guarantee that a few months later a new one won't pop up elsewhere. I was pretty upset about this too when I got my D80 and noticed it, but they don't even bug me anymore.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just leave it be if they come and go. Sounds like it'd inevitably happen with another sensor anyway. It's slightly left of center.

If it happens with fast shutterspeeds and low ISOs then I would send the camera in to have it mapped out. If it happens only at lower shutter speeds (1/20 and down) or higher ISOs well get used to it. That just happens to be the pixel that gives up first when you push your sensor a bit.

Canon has a dust data thing, does nikon have something similar?

Like take a picture of a white piece of paper, camera detects the non white piece?

They do, but I am not sure if it would work on a dead pixel. Worth a try though. Although the problem is if I recall correctly you need a copy of Capture NX to do it. The upside is the 30day trial should be more than sufficient.

Most reactions

Back