Contemporary Senior Girl

AlisonPower said:
Other than a change in your title (which is a long standing tradition in TPF, ask any of the regulars here!)

I don't mind a change from "Newbie" to "Moving UP" but from "Newbie" to "No Critiques, Just Applause" I find offensive, and yes it is treating one unfairly.

[/QUOTE]You've posted images and I believe gotten fair assessments. People have taken the time to point out what they liked and also areas for improvement. That's what being a part of a photography community is all about. The intent is that members are here not just to share their knowledge, but also to learn from others.[/QUOTE]

No complaint here, but it seems to me that when I post images, I'm accused of being pretentious and holier than thou. Why? Perhaps because I take the time to explain how they were done. In the future I will simply post images with no explanation as to how they were done.

Tally Ho

Tally Ho said:
No complaint here, but it seems to me that when I post images, I'm accused of being pretentious and holier than thou. Why? Perhaps because I take the time to explain how they were done. In the future I will simply post images with no explanation as to how they were done.

Tally Ho

I believe you have missed the point entirely.

When you respond to someone, or post anything you ARE pretentious and holier than thou. We dont know you, we dont know your style very well, As a matter of fact, all we know is what we read, and what we have read so far has made everyone turn away from your work. Do you do this with clients? If so, how do you make any money?

Furthermore, The staff of Thephotoforum.com reserves the rights to change titles at will. We have done this in the past in jest to others , and if you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen man.

I had a custom title given to me a long time ago, before we were able to change it on our own. And Terri had a perdy pink 'un.

If you take a look at the custom titles around here they are usually as a joke. Sorry if you found it offensive.

If you're asking for an honest assessment as to why people get the impression that you are pretentious and holier than thou I can give you my thoughts. Giving an explanation of how you created the shot is great. However, giving the impression that your way (the way that you studied from a "master photographer" with a set of rules) is the ONLY way is where you will give people a distinct impression of you. In this area of the forum we are all here because we are in some way connected to wedding and portrait photography. Some of us own a business, others are hoping to, and some come to visit to improve their portrait skills.

Guidlines are great, but if you spend so much time concentrating on them that you feel that anyone who deviates is wrong, you are shutting yourself off from a valuable learning experience. As a community we are here to learn and grow with each other. I have a different style than Daniel and John (who post wedding photos here regularly) but I still learn from them, and I hope they can do the same from my contributions. Portrait and Wedding photography goes beyond great lighing and posing. A good portrait will capture the essence of the person, who they really are. The same with wedding photography. A beautiful photo of the bride, carefully posed and well lit is nice, and surely will be in their album. But yet the couple also looks for the photos where the cake is smashed into their new spouse's face, and the shot where the bride is dancing with her ring bearer. My point being that there is a balance in a photographers work. Nobody will argue that lighting and posing are important. However, if you help your client feel at ease, the portrait becomes a living piece of art, not just the documentation of a fraction in time.

core_17 said:
I had a custom title given to me a long time ago, before we were able to change it on our own. And Terri had a perdy pink 'un.
And I hate pink! :x

Wow, I remember the days when people were BEGGING for custom titles, and they never got them, in fact I still see a lot of people with their titles they were given. Its like being knighted at tpf :lol: - however most of us can take a joke, and find its okay to be able to laugh at ourselves.

thats all gonna happen again!!!! custom titles are going to be reinstated for people who ask...better watch out world!

I don't mind a change from "Newbie" to "Moving UP" but from "Newbie" to "No Critiques, Just Applause" I find offensive, and yes it is treating one unfairly.
How about "sex sells!!" ?? Would you like that better? :D That was the first custom title I was given here, and that was done wayyyy before members had the option of doing anything about it. I certainly didn't feel I was being treated unfairly; I knew I was being teased by the higher ups on some comments I'd made. All I could do was laugh....so I did. ;) I lived with that title for months, before someone else thought of this one I currently have. I've yet to come up with my own title, even though I can change it now.

You might loosen your belt a notch or two and take a chuckle. Most of us common mortals do better when we don't take ourselves too seriously, regardless of how seriously we may approach our artistic expression.

Lighten up, already! :sun:

"Before you read my above posting did you know what the word 'photograph' meant? I would guess 75% of the people who regularly use a camera don't know what it means."

"I see it is time to post "The 25 Rules For Better Portraits" for those who would like to learn portraiture from a master photographer. I will dig them up and post them for all to see."

Tally Ho,
I of course speak only for myself, but I think it's the quotes such as above that rub people the wrong way. There are many, many professional photographers on this board, in ALL areas of photography. There are others on this board, some you insist on tangling with that are aclaimed photographers. And, as with all art based things, photography is a place that the hobbiest and newbie can excel without ever collecting one red cent for their beautiful works. Photography is also an artform that is celebrated for it's originality. Tips and Pointers are nice, but there are no hard and fast rules.
Just because you read a book by someone who refers to themselves as a Master Photographer, and have had Mom's pay for student and wedding photography, it doesn't make you the end all of advice. Your photos are nice, to be sure. It is obvious that you know your equipment. But you really shouldn't assume that your way is the only way. Take a look in Vanity Fair. Rarely does the cover follow all these rules that you live by, but unquestionably it is considered some of the finestest portriature in the world.
Hopefully, you will see this post as just a way of communication and not a personal assault. If you see it as an assault, you are welcome to "spank me, I'm naughty".
:greenpbl:

(Cut and paste) "However, giving the impression that your way (the way that you studied from a "master photographer" with a set of rules) is the ONLY way is where you will give people a distinct impression of you."

I have never either said or implied that my way is the only way. Some however may read into my detailed descriptions that I am saying this is the only way, perhaps because of preconceived notions. I cannot control how my postings are read on the other end, only the reader can. The written word tends to be 'harsher' than the spoken word and I have discovered is frequently read that exact way, especially on the 'net.

I have in the past attempted to show that this particular method, pose, lighting diagram or whatever is ONE tried and true way that has worked for me and for others. In the future I will refrain from giving any details as to how I lit or posed any of my images, that way I cannot offend any others here and we can be one big happy family.

Tally Ho

elsaspet said:
Sorry, Tally Ho, MDowdy just moved ahead of you. I dig his groovy avatar.:afro:

damn :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :hugs: :hugs: :hug:: :hug:: :sexywink: :sexywink: :fangs: :fangs:

hell yes.

Most reactions

Back