Continuous shoot

Milhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had left my camera in continuous shoot mode by accident, which turned out helpful when I came across some dolphins on a boat trip. I didn't have to play around with the camera settings, and was able to shoot right away. I was capturing 4-5 pics of the dolphins per surfacing.

My question is, is there a downside to shooting 1 pic when the camera is set to continuous mode (ie focusing speed, sharpness ...)? If not I would leave my camera in continuous mode, and when I encounter a situation where I want to take a series of pictures, like above, then camera is ready.

i dont believe there is
continuous shutter just means that it will take continuous pictures all of the same settings
so if u had a 1 second shutter and kept the button held down it would take the 1 second shot, then another, and another, and so on

I leave my cameras on continuous all the time. Most of the time I just take single shots, but if I want to take some continuous ones all I have to do is hold the shutter down - no need to switch modes and miss the shot.

I leave my cameras on continuous all the time. Most of the time I just take single shots, but if I want to take some continuous ones all I have to do is hold the shutter down - no need to switch modes and miss the shot.

Ditto.

I dont really understand the need for single shot mode, i just leave minein continuous. Sometimes that setting gets changed and i go to do an action sequence to find i only got the first shot...pretty dissapointing

can you shoot a solid sequence in continuous mode by just holding the button down or is that a different mode?

err, yes, that's what continuous mode is. I don't think it matters what mode the camera is in if you were talking about Auto/P/S/A/M modes (or P/Tv/Av/M for Canon). It has to be natural light shots though, because your flash won't recycle quickly enough, especially if you're using a fair amount of flash power.

I would never have thought of that on my own. Thanks for the tip Mav. :thumbup:

Me too. It's also useful for longer shutter speeds. Instead of taking 1 shot and having camera shake, take 2 or 3 continuous shots and pick out the best one later, and you'll have less shake from pressing the shutter release.

Me too. It's also useful for longer shutter speeds. Instead of taking 1 shot and having camera shake, take 2 or 3 continuous shots and pick out the best one later, and you'll have less shake from pressing the shutter release.
Good point! I do that for that reason, but never thought of it that way. that's true. :)

I have to make sure that I have my D300 set to Cl continuous shoot (set to 3 fps). If set to Ch, it's a 6fps burst. :lmao:

Never used single shot on D80 either.

I never put mine in single shot. I use bracketing a lot, so you press the button and it quickly cycles through the bracket shots and stops. Release the button, and press it again for the next burst of brackets, instead of having to press the button for each shot, increasing the risk of "trigger jerk" blurring the shots.

Most reactions

Back