Cop Busted

Except he lives in Canada... Very different police mentality there. You get out of your car here in Chicago, you will probably be hurt in some form.
Our laws are very similar. If you're not under arrest, your legal obligation to "do as your told" is very limited.

Except he lives in Canada... Very different police mentality there. You get out of your car here in Chicago, you will probably be hurt in some form.
Our laws are very similar. If you're not under arrest, your legal obligation to "do as your told" is very limited.

'Legal obligations' don't matter when the cop is the one with the gun and the power to arrest you............. regardless of whether you're right or not. Far too many LEOs today are tyrants and don't care about upholding the law... they just enjoy exerting power.

Case in point: "I don't care about your first amendment right".

'Legal obligations' don't matter when the cop is the one with the gun and the power to arrest you............. regardless of whether you're right or not. Far too many LEOs today are tyrants and don't care about upholding the law... they just enjoy exerting power.

Case in point: "I don't care about your first amendment right".

All the more reason that the police should NOT be armed for regular duty.

...One does not 'get permission' to get out of your car. One is ordered to stay in or get out. Those are the only two options you will be given.
WTF? It's MY car. Unless I am under arrest, I will get out or remain in as I choose.
More cops are killed at traffic stops than any other way.
Consequently, cops are wound pretty tight, and should be, when they pull someone over.

Getting out of your car would be taken as an aggressive act.

...One does not 'get permission' to get out of your car. One is ordered to stay in or get out. Those are the only two options you will be given.
WTF? It's MY car. Unless I am under arrest, I will get out or remain in as I choose.
More cops are killed at traffic stops than any other way.
Consequently, cops are wound pretty tight, and should be, when they pull someone over.

Getting out of your car would be taken as an aggressive act.
What they should be is polite. The vast majority of the problems arise because the police either take liberties with the law, or assume that there is going to be a problem and assume an aggressive posture from the start. It doesn't matter what happened yesterday, or what your mate's experience was, unless there is a definite reason to believe that THIS event is going to be problematic, assume that it is not. As for getting (or not) out of the car, he can "see" it however he chooses; at the end of the day if you're within your rights, there is nothing for him to say on the matter.

A little bit of courtesy and respect goes a LONG way. Unfortunately, the A-hole cop shown in the video displayed neither, and was a total jerk. The perfect example of a bad cop, making a bad stop, and spouting B.S. lies to a citizen.

Worked many scenes with both state and county, encountering the best and the worst. The personalities were as varied as they are in everyday life. Difference being they may or may not go home after their shift.

Worked many scenes with both state and county, encountering the best and the worst. The personalities were as varied as they are in everyday life. Difference being they may or may not go home after their shift.

Working as a cop is still wayyyyyyy less dangerous than is being a logger. Or a farmer. Or a commerial fisherman. Or a pilot. Or a roofer. Or a garbage man. Or a rancher. Or a truck driver. Or a construction worker. Or a miner.

I've grown very,very tired about hearing that old saw about, "Never knowing if they'll return home from a shift at work." Because there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of people whose work is VASTLY more dangerous than being a cop. Police work is far less dangerous than all of the the above listed jobs.

The difference is that there are MILLIONS of people who do their jobs daily, and are not A-holes toward the other people they encounter while doing their jobs.

Top 10 Most Deadly and Dangerous Jobs in America 2000-2020

You wanna see a DANGEROUS and DEADLY job? Agriculture, fishing, and forestry are THE deadliest three jobs, with 24.9 deaths per 100,000 on average annually, for those three jobs combined together into one averaged statistic. But break those three jobs down individually, and at times, commercial fishing has been #1 or #2 most-deadly job, with fatality rates as high as 75 workers per 100,000 per year.

Hell, being a TAXI driver is deadlier than being a cop!

There's not an excuse in the world to be an A-hole every day, just because tyou might not return home from your job: ask roofers, and fishermen,farmers,miners,ranchers, and construction workers about danger at work, because they are the people who experience real danger at work, every day. Being at cop ranks around 10th, or less in terms of danger, and being a commerical fisherman is vastly more dangerous. Police and sheriffs have an average annual death rate of about 18.0 per 100,000 workers. A solid TENTH to TWELFTH on the list of dangerous jobs.

Most reactions

Back