baturn

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone know what caused this?
DSC_0994.jpg

did not notice this when importing to LR. Large import, approx. 400d raws from new 16 gig SanDisk extreme plus using card reader. Some showed up (maybe a dozen or so scattered amongst the rest) almost immediately after import complete. I deleted them intending to re - import from card later. a little later when starting the culling process I noticed a few more, deleted them and continued culling. A day or so later I opened LR to do some PP and a few more show up like this. Deleted. It seems like almost every time I open LR there are a couple more. I have since imported the whole card again with no problem (yet). And have now reformatted the card in camera -D7100.

If you mean that images are changing while on the disk, I would be concerned about the disk issues.
Rather than delete them right away and free up the perhaps bad disk space, I would wait and get more (and smarter) advice than I can give.

L

Thanks. And ya, I won't do anything more until I get a few ideas from some others.

Difficulty parsing the image data due to disk fragmentation. Have you checked your hard disk for some serious fragmentation issues using a good disk utility? Looks to me like you are in need of a good hard disk defrag'ing!!

Thanks Derrel. No and probably. disk utility? suggestions?

First, stop deleting images on your computer and/or in your camera!!!

Could be any of several problems:
1. Camera memory card - try another card. If problem resolved, it was the memory card.
2. Pictures OK when viewed in camera, bad when viewed on computer -
a. if immediately bad when viewing with MS Photo Viewer, for example, it's probably a hard drive failure.
b. Or, it could be RAM failure. I had this problem 2 years ago and it took me more than a week to 'prove it'. I swapped memory sticks with each other, and used one at a time. The failure kept 'moving'. It turned out that BOTH memory sticks were bad, straight from Amazon, as I was building a new computer.

... aaaaannnnd, if you recently upgraded your computer, make sure that you install the very latest media drivers for your current operating system. My media card read fine in XP, upgraded to Windows7 and lost a lot of image files. I will need to buy a new graphics processor in order to work with images AND video with the newer operations system.

Hard drive defragmentation is just one chore that is part of routine computer maintenance.
Windows has a defrag utility. At the lower left click on the Microsoft symbol > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmenter
I have Disk Defragmenter set up to run automatically once a week.

If you are not doing regular routine computer maintenance don't be surprised when you have computer performance problems.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Keith, I also have the computer set to defrag the disk once a week. I rather suspect the problem occurred during transfer from card to hard drive. The upload was very slow, unusually so. I'm going to fill the card with a couple hundred random shots and see if I can duplicate the error and discover where in the process it is happening.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back