Could a camera phone compare to a camera?

daveatcake

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm working with Motorola on a new handset they've brought out, the ZN5. It's the first camera phone to feature Kodak Image Technology, but how do images from a phone compare with images taken by a camera?

ZN5 pictures on flickr

A camera phone is still technically a 'camera'...so when you say "compare with images taken by a camera" what do you mean?

Do you want to compare a camera phone to a 'point & shoot' digital camera? Something in the $100-$300 range? Or a more advanced digital camera in the $300-$500 range? Or to a digital SLR camera (with a sensor that is much larger than most other digital cameras)? Or maybe to a medium format digital camera costing tens of thousands of dollars?

I've heard that camera phones are getting better and better. I'm curious as to the quality of the lenses used.

A camera phone is still technically a 'camera'...so when you say "compare with images taken by a camera" what do you mean?

Do you want to compare a camera phone to a 'point & shoot' digital camera? Something in the $100-$300 range? Or a more advanced digital camera in the $300-$500 range? Or to a digital SLR camera (with a sensor that is much larger than most other digital cameras)? Or maybe to a medium format digital camera costing tens of thousands of dollars?

I've heard that camera phones are getting better and better. I'm curious as to the quality of the lenses used.

I'll second that. By looking at the Flikr page, the photos look really nice! (Nicer then mine:blushing:). IMO, it's the artist, not the camera the makes a nice photo. There are some really, really good artists out there making their art with $150.00 Point and Shoots.

Yeah as said above the type of camera does not impair the artistic ability. However camera phones have their limit. They won't ever match the quality of even point and shoot because of their tiny sensors and often plastic lenses, and they will impair your ability to get a shot you envision somewhat as I have never seen a camera phone with an aperture adjustment or any of those other features man of us can't live without.

Yeah as said above the type of camera does not impair the artistic ability. However camera phones have their limit. They won't ever match the quality of even point and shoot because of their tiny sensors and often plastic lenses, and they will impair your ability to get a shot you envision somewhat as I have never seen a camera phone with an aperture adjustment or any of those other features man of us can't live without.

Ditto.:thumbup:

What he did is different, he switched photos together to create on one normal image. So the megapixels of that image is like 4x of the megapixels of his phone. So yes, they are going to be of better quality due to higher reso. =\

LOL I find it even more interesting that someone "working with Motorola" has to use Flikr as a way of displaying images...LOL not that theres anything wrong with that... =)

To answer the OP... the image quality of a camera phone in regards to a current camera (for now) will probably not live up to the technical quality of image... thats not to say down the road as micro technology gets better and better that it doesnt get to a discernable difference... sensor sizes and pixel density have a lot to do with image quality and the sensor in a camera phone at this point may do well... but not as well as a full blown dslr... except maybe under ideal conditions and VERY small print sizes...

And beyond that what are we comparing? Low res MySpace pics? 4x6 prints? 20x30 prints?

Then try setting the camera phone to f/2.8 and you will.

ha ha :) I was being sarcastic. I've been following the poster to the Beginner thread with a camera phone. If someone can set their phone to f/2.8, then my D80 can make long distance calls!

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back