Could I have damaged my lens?

Dilate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey!

I just got a VX8000 camera cellphone and im loving every second of it! I never knew how much fun photography can be! Quick question though, after my friend handled the camera improperly, I noticed a smudge on the lens, so I took a q-tip and applied a gentle mist of windex to it, and (as gently as possible) wiped the lens in a clockwise fashion, then repeated the process with the untouched dry side of the qtip to dry/remove possible streaking. No fibers from the qtip were left behind and upon close examination, the lens appears to be smudge/scratch free, except my friend (a bit of a photoge') tells me that i could have seriously damaged the lens. Is there any way to tell if i have indeed damaged the lens?

Thanks for your time!
Dilate

The only way to tell is by using it. Take a picture, does it look different?

You friend may be suggesting that the chemicals in the Windex could have damaged what the lens is made out of (plastic?). If the lens looks opaque or the pictures you take with it are now blurry then you've damaged it. If everything appears fine then it probably is.

NEVER NEVER NEVER use window cleaner to clean a lens. You could damage the coating that is usually on lens elements. I like to just use a lens cloth unless you have to have some solution on the lens to remove whatever is on there. And then you should use lens cleaner. If you don't have that you would be better off using spit than window cleaner.

I'd be willing to guess (on no real basis) that being as you're talking about a cellphone camera, I sort of doubt it has any kind of fancy coating that camera lenses have. I'd say you're probably alright (but then again i don't really iknow anything.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back