could this be true

A lot of trouble to go to if it isn't!

Yeah, no doubt AT ALL that they were planning on the big sensor in the prosumer body. That's old news here in Japan. I thought it was the D300 at first till someone here told me tweren't true and that te sensor was not fullframe in the D300. I was even wanting to start a D300 vrs. D3 thread till I was told.

Anyway, so, it's going to be called the D700 huh? Cool!

Nice find and thanks for the post!

Yeah it's official as of today, July 1st 2008.

Legit rumors aren't rumors. They're leaks. :mrgreen: The leak of press and marketing materials on that Chinese forum was a leak, not a rumor. I totally believed those when I saw them, because of how ridiculously difficult it would have been to photochop all of that stuff. Making it even more believable is that it came from some Chinese forum, and not some dork on DPreview, lol.

So the 5D is not alone in it's class anymore. This is good for the prices of the FF sensors. The more bodies use them ,the cheaper they are going to get.

How long do you think we are going to have to wait for Sony's prosumer FF? And Samsung/Pentax's?

I'm wondering what this means for owners of DX format Nikon cameras who plan to buy lenses.

Is there a crunch coming where the next camera purchase will be full frame and render a kit full of DX lenses worthless? Should we be buying lenses that support full format now so we are keeping our options open (even though they are more expensive). Or will the DX format live on as an excellent alternative side by side with the full format for ever. Perhaps I should expect my next camera to be another DX?

I love my D80 and D300. I'm quite sure I will go on using them very happily for a long time. But since I plan to spend a lot of money on lenses in the coming years should I hedge my bets? Its an expensive question.

cheers,
david

Wow, this is enough to make me want to file for divorce...

from Canon:lol:

Canon better hurry up with their damn 5D replacement!!!!!

Awesome, I'm glad to see something great like that come from Nikon. Sadly I switched to Canon last week, or else that would have been in my sights for my next upgrade.

I'm wondering what this means for owners of DX format Nikon cameras who plan to buy lenses.

Two things. 1: The D700 supports DX lenses at a reduced but still very usable resolution.

2: It shouldn't mean anything in the short term if they stick with their cameras. Buy a lens that suits the format. You never hear 35mm users not buying lenses because in 2 years they may buy a medium format camera. Obviously this case is slightly difference since both lenses fit on the same mount, but DX format lenses do have clear and blatantly obvious advantage. Firstly they actually come in wide angles, where as non-dx lenses are normally 24 or 28mm at wide. And secondly they are MUCH smaller for a given aperture and focal length.

I think if you have a DX format camera, at least in the mid-term future (the next 5 years probably longer where DX cameras will still definitely be around), then you should not outright wipeout things like A Sigma 10-20mm simply because it's a DX format lens because it gives you a wide angle, or a 70-300mm because it is about 1/4 of the weight of the 70-200 f/2.8.

Just ... you know... don't buy the 17-55mm f/2.8 because that is a waste of money even if full frame lenses didn't exist :lmao:

I can't be the only one who has noticed that Pentax's nomenclature leaves room for a full-on professional beast of camera. Bring us the K1/K2/K3!

Samsung has announced the coming of a Full Frame sensor. So we can expect a GX-2 and a K2D.

Most reactions

Back