Couple of questions

sunbeam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, at risk of being laughed at..... I have a couple of questions that may make me sound like quite the amateur, but hey, that's what this site is for, right? :)

I have a Pentax k100d super, and I am having MAJOR problems with manual focus. When I'm looking through the viewfinder, and trying to focus on, say, someone's face, it appears to be focused, but once i get the images onto my computer, it's blurry? Any suggestions here? It's getting REALLY frustrating! I know there's a little adjuster thing above the viewfinder, but I'm not sure how to properly set that. (I would post an image, but I am currently using a borrowed laptop, b/c my comp is being repaired. )

Also, what is the BEST way to set white balance. I find that my camera doesn't do the best job of automatically setting it. I've read/heard about the use of white cards, and gray cards. What's best? Setting it in your camera to 'tungsten... daylight' etc or using a card, if a card, which one? Gray or white? THANKS EVERYONE!

sounds like your diopter is set at the wrong position (that little viewfinder adjustment thingy).

i think the way i set mine (and im sure other people have better ways), is i used autofocus (single servo mode) and while holding down the shutter halfway set the diopter so that it appeared in focus in the viewfinder too. then i tried doing some manual focus shots to make sure that what i perceived as "in focus" actually was.

AWB doesnt always work. if ur indoors or if its cloudy or really sunny they have pre sets that give better colors.. i dnt know much about that camera but if u have live you u should be able to compare there. if not after u take the picture look at it and see if white looks like white or not.. the manual focus thing may be slightly off with the turning so it may appear clear to u but its not a 100% clear.. or you move a little when u take the picture.. but not sure. i guess it could be a few things. hope i helped.
Joe

To set the diopter just look at the focus points on the focus screen in the view finderand adjust the diopter till they are tack sharp. It take a bit of effort because that diopter adjuster is not very fine.

When I want to manually focus on people I try to use their eyelashes to guage focus.

What I used for diopter setting is a cereal box I set the camera on the table, then set the box were I could see the fine print and, focused it with AF. Then all you have to do is move the dial till the lettering is sharp.

What I used for diopter setting is a cereal box I set the camera on the table, then set the box were I could see the fine print and, focused it with AF. Then all you have to do is move the dial till the lettering is sharp.
Yep, that works too.
Some people tape a page of newsprint to the wall and use that as a focus target.......but who still buys newspapers?

Thanks for the suggestions! How about the white balance? DOES it work better to use a white or gray card before shooting anything?

Ummm a gray card is best for it. But you can also use a white coffee filter held over the lens as well.

Most reactions

Back