Cousins C&C

Inst!nct

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Posted this in the beginners section, but i feel like i should move out of there, regardless, any c&C out there? Im not much of a portrait person but trying my best :p.

4138015843_eac164f518_b.jpg

4138780848_90366706ef_b.jpg

thanks for the future comments

Hmmm.. I'm also not much of a portrait person, but I'll give it a shot.

#1 There is too much headspace. I would of preferred being much closer in on the face, giving more emotion to the image and maybe getting a window reflection

#2 I find the gun is too close to his face and there is too much of it, to the point where it is somewhat dominating the image (or at least my eye time). The DOF makes it go blurry in the front, which is all that more distracting. I also don't like the choice of prop, but thats more opinion than CC :)

Nice job on the sharpness though. This was probably more of a spur of the moment thing, but I dont find his clothing, specially the dark tones, help the image much. But I'm on the work computer which typically makes darks way too dark.

Hmmm.. I'm also not much of a portrait person, but I'll give it a shot.

#1 There is too much headspace. I would of preferred being much closer in on the face, giving more emotion to the image and maybe getting a window reflection

#2 I find the gun is too close to his face and there is too much of it, to the point where it is somewhat dominating the image (or at least my eye time). The DOF makes it go blurry in the front, which is all that more distracting. I also don't like the choice of prop, but thats more opinion than CC :)

Nice job on the sharpness though. This was probably more of a spur of the moment thing, but I dont find his clothing, specially the dark tones, help the image much. But I'm on the work computer which typically makes darks way too dark.
Alright, tyvm for the responses, yes, ive realized lately that i always try bumping up the blacks WAYY too much, idk, maybe im an underexposed ish type of person. As for the clothing style, yes, as you said, their mom was there, asked me to take some pictures, and i did. I tried to include the limited amount ive learned taking portraits into this, so definetly still need to practice, i appreciate the c&c.

IMO, the first is not a keeper. There is no contact with her eyes or her face, we can't see what she is looking at, her sweater is a dark blot and the white blur at the right is really distracting. The first two problems are crucial; there has to be some contact either with the peron's eyes or what the person is looking at to provide to dramatic tension to any picture of people.

The second is quite nice. Good color, very dynamic. I would crop much tighter to get the non-contributing space out of the way and, especially, remove much of the red tip of that gun - it distracts the eye. Cut is off, remove its importance.

Torso shots, especially in the US, just look better in 4 x 5 aspect ratio. It fits the human body better, IMO.

1 is pretty good imo. it tells a story for me. agreed the top needs to be cropped,

There is no contact with her eyes or her face,

you can see her face reflected in the window, that's contact to me.

we can't see what she is looking at

i imagine she is waiting for a returning parent from work, or a person walking the dog, or a car speeding by, you name it.

2 the kid has a winning smile, nice capture! too bad, the gun ruins it. the cropping is a good suggestion.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back