Coyote. I have a lot to learn with wildlife. pic heavy

Zulu, I'm glad you started this thread. Reading the advice you've received, I know I'm going to try a few things differently.

Regarding "keep the ISO low"

That has been my mantra. I don't know exactly how I picked it up, but I have been way too reluctant to raise ISO, until recently.
I thought it would reduce noise to underexpose with low ISO and bring it back in post.

It's just something I was wrong about, and it has influenced my shooting since I learned what ISO is. I actually have to fight my way out of that mindset.

A month or two ago I stumbled on a post from @Derrel , He posted a photo and mentioned something like "shot at high ISO in daylight", and my head exploded.

I wonder what else I'm so confidently incorrect about!

:)

It might have been the shots I did at ISO 1,250 and ISO 1,600 in broad daylight, with hardly noticeable noise, due to, well, NOT having under-exposed, but also with the fairly filled-in shadows that decent light often provides. There's a BIG difference between shooting at a high ISO value in decent to good light, and shooting at high ISO in rubbish light, such as indoors in a dimly-lighted place.

Try using auto ISO, it allows you to set your maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed. I use it all the time and manage to get good images.

I personally found this video helpful, especially for photographing moving subjects.
Just keep practicing, practicing and more practicing.
If you don't have steady hands then maybe get a bean bag to rest your camera on or even a mono pod to help steady your setup.
1 and 4 are lovely shots.

Btw I did watch this video and finally set up for back button af, which I've been meaning to do. Thanks for posting it. Only downside I can think of is that I will have to remember to change the setting to get half-press focus when using remote shutter release.

Regarding "keep the ISO low"

That has been my mantra. I don't know exactly how I picked it up, but I have been way too reluctant to raise ISO, until recently.
I thought it would reduce noise to underexpose with low ISO and bring it back in post.

It's just something I was wrong about, and it has influenced my shooting since I learned what ISO is. I actually have to fight my way out of that mindset.

A month or two ago I stumbled on a post from @Derrel , He posted a photo and mentioned something like "shot at high ISO in daylight", and my head exploded.

I wonder what else I'm so confidently incorrect about!

:)

It might have been the shots I did at ISO 1,250 and ISO 1,600 in broad daylight, with hardly noticeable noise, due to, well, NOT having under-exposed, but also with the fairly filled-in shadows that decent light often provides. There's a BIG difference between shooting at a high ISO value in decent to good light, and shooting at high ISO in rubbish light, such as indoors in a dimly-lighted place.

It was a detail shot of a statue or monument with lots of detail in the shadows. I interpereted your use of higher ISO as a tool to get those details even though the light was good. Anyway, it was just a moment when I got past the "low ISO at all cost" mindset.

Yes...those were indeed the photos, of the monuments/statues, with loads of detail and no visible noise in the dark areas, despite having been shot at high ISO levels--in fact, at pretty much that older camera's upper-most ISO range. It is a great thing to get beyond that "low ISO at all costs" mindset!

I shoot wildlife with back-button focus, in manual with shutter at 1/1000 and the aperture at f/8 and the ISO on auto (more often than not).

Okay, I set the ISO to auto. Max 1600.

Then I set it back to manual. I was getting jittery. I'm a low ISO junkie and I'm getting off the stuff in baby steps. I'll dial it up as needed.

zulu42 said:
SNIP >>>>...why turn off VR at shutter speeds over 1/1000?

Even at 1/500 second, VR might lead to UN-sharp images, where the system gets into a feedback loop, and tries to "stabilize" the image by moving lens elements within the lens,and this creates one of the oddest, worst effects! I RUINED many images during my early days with the 70-200/2.8 VR-G lens back in the early 2000's, by shooting in bright light outdoors with VR left On.

Thom Hogan has a very good article about understanding Nikon VR.

Nikon VR explained

I also shoot in aperture priority for shooting wildlife. Anything from 6.3-8 depending on the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back