Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D40

lens is on auto focus
shooting in auto
everything is auto

the photo comes out completely white

help!

Try to find somewhere in the manual where you can reset everything to the factory settings. My initial thought is that it might be set to bracket (can it do that on auto?). If there is mechanical failure your shutter is probably stuck open OR your mirror is stuck up (which is unlikely because you wouldn't see through the viewfinder then).

Call customer support if you can't find what is wrong.

Read your manual and buy/check out the book understanding exposure.

I don't know what you've set on your camera, but I can almost guarantee it's user-error judging by your explanation of the problem.

even on auto settings?

yes, especially, if you have activated the exposure compensation feature to over expose.

see nothing about auto white balance mentioned yet. Does it take a long time for your shutter to cycle or is it very fast?

yes, especially, if you have activated the exposure compensation feature to over expose.
that's what'll happen when you do that. Just post an image sample complete with all of the shot data like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc. Also, what lens are you using? It's not unheard of to have stuck aperture blades leaving the lens wide open even if you need to be stopped down. That'll result in overexposure too.

In the D40, is there a way to reset all the settings back to factory default? Will removing the battery work?

I agree, upload one sample to the net and let see what you got (with the image data)

I just think of something. If your aperture is stuck at wide open, can you try to take pictures in aperture priority mode with different Av settings? I am guessing if you are able to take a good picture only when the aperture is wide open (according to the camera settings) ..... then .. would it be the problem of the lens?

Sounds like you've got Exposure Comp cranked to the max. I did that once with my D50, but I'm not sure that it's available in auto mode???

Can you post a picture with the exif data?

I gave my camera to my friend, who works at Ritz, to get it checked out. So we'll see in a few days

Got it checked out, auto focus and exposure metering do no function correctly. Have to send it in. Sigh.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back