Crazy?

Crazy? Should have just bought a Lensbaby or Helios setup?

• Crazy: Too much money for a swirl

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Semi Crazy: Typical Australian, the heat must have affected his brain

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Totally Crazy: I'd do the same if I could

• I don't care: your life do as you like

• Total voters

binga63

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have just sold my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 and bought a petzval lens....2 reasons, I tended to use my primes more than the zooms (the 70-200 has been untouched for 12 months) . I needed to get out of the studio and wanted something different, something that would force me to slow down and think about every shot, instead of going "ohh that's nice"click..."love that"click...bam bam bam etc. The petzval will make me contemplate ...no regrets, though there may be a few choice words used while I learn the limits of the lens.

Why not!?

I mean, when it's about you, every choice you make and every tool you use, I'm sure it will be the right tool for you.

I'm sure you'll produce some beautiful things with it.

I say Go for it! :boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:

(you don't have the option I would click on on the poll :))

Personally I'd have held onto what I had and tried to add to it - but at the same time if you've lenses untouched for a year and you don't see a clear use for them on the horizon then yes best to shed dead weight in your system.

You say you've got primes so you've not shed your system for a one trick pony and still can do regular photography. So you've refined your setup to what you find works for you and added a fun "toy" to help re-invigorate your interest and give you something new to play with. Sounds good to me - go for it and have fun !

I would have voted but it wouldn't let me pick both #2 and #4. :lol:

The heat may have affected your brain, and it's definitely NOT something I'd ever do, but on the other hand I've had this suspicion all along that what works best for me might just possibly NOT be what the entire world should do to be happy.

Besides, I suspect that somehow, you will manage to produce even more stunning results with that pet thing than what you've already done with "normal" lenses...so I look forward to seeing what your heat-damaged brain comes up with!

I still have 24mm, 50mm macro, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 105mm macro, 105mm f2.0 dc and a 70-300.....the "one trick" was staying in the studio for so long stagnating my creativity....looking forward to using the toy and having less weight in my bag after shedding the other 2 lenses damn they were heavy...

I have one. Seems like a perfectly reasonable idea to me!

And got a camera to go with it...

What appealed to me is getting to use a lens that's almost like a little piece of photographic history. I think too it's using the Waterhouse stops, that gives me a feel of what it might have been like using that type lens in the early days of photography.

I got a Nikon F with a waistlevel finder to be able to hold the camera in a way more similar to how those lenses would have been used (without having to lug around a giant wooden box!). I can't say I've used it a lot yet but sure have enjoyed it, planning to get out with it more this summer.

I'm still waiting for you to discover that you have all this talent just gathering dust in the bottom of your camera bag, and you'd like to give it a new home. You probably won't even notice it's not there any more. But some lucky someone will have found their creativity ramped up 500%. If only... :D

It's a lens, the trick is how you use it.....time will tell if I learn one or many tricks with it...:)
And thank you Paul...:)

I have just sold my 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 and bought a petzval lens....2 reasons, I tended to use my primes more than the zooms (the 70-200 has been untouched for 12 months) . I needed to get out of the studio and wanted something different, something that would force me to slow down and think about every shot, instead of going "ohh that's nice"click..."love that"click...bam bam bam etc. The petzval will make me contemplate ...no regrets, though there may be a few choice words used while I learn the limits of the lens.
I totally understand your motivation to get the new lens. I bought a Nikon 10-24mm for the mostly the same reason, and whenever I put that lens on I have to really think about each shot - and that is a lot different than the shooting from the hip, so to speak, that is so tempting in street shooting, e.g. I think about Ansel Adams carrying that 8x10 camera up the mountains, and how much thought goes into each shot when you only have 12 exposures for the day. On the other hand, there is something to be said for the Garry Winnogrand "one of them must be a chicken" school. I admit that I frequently discover what my photos look like when I get them in the computer and on the screen.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back