Croc Hunter Dead

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that he's really gone...

It's weird, so many times when I was overseas where, as soon as people found out I'm Aussie, they would go "Crocodile Hunter!", some asking if I knew him/lived near him...and I would always want to roll my eyes lol...

Yet, he was an amazing person and one of those people who you think will always be around because they're larger then life and seem invincible. There were never pretenses from him, what you saw on tv was what he really was, just the genuine, life-loving person who didnt just sit around and talk about what he wanted to do....he just went out and did it. He mingled freely with people, at his zoo or anywhere else and just was a normal 'bloke'.

An example; a family was visiting his zoo when they realized their son was nowhere to be seen. They started looking for him and finally found him. He was sitting with Steve and they were having a milkshake at the cafeteria, just sitting at one of the tables outside and hanging out, having a joke and a laugh.

A lesson to all, to me; Do what you love. Find your passion and live your truth and just be real. You never know when your day will come. I keep thinking back to yesterday morning, when I was sitting on the train and dreading going in to my current job and now I think "Steve would've been starting his day too, probably eating breakfast right at the same moment, not knowing that, by lunchtime, he will be dead.

Although, being the way he was, if he could communicate from the dead, he'd be exclaiming "Crikey, did ya see the barb on that thing! It got me right in the ticker!" and would go on to educate us about the stingray and how it's normally a placid creature but that he just got unlucky.

He seemed like a nice guy on TV, and you have to feel sorry for his family. I expected him to get eaten by a giant croc or a shark or run over by a wilderbeast or something. Freak accident with a stingray is just too bizarre.

So far, not sure on what timeline it's based on, but there have been three recorded deaths by stingrays in Australia, him being the third (I think). Normally, the toxin on the barb is enough to be excrutiatingly painful to a person but not lethal.

He was swimming over the top of it and his camera man was in front of it, filming. The stingray would have felt trapped and threatened and it stopped, turned and lashed it's tail and Steve was just, unluckily, in the tails path. It penetrated under his rib and pierced his heart. It's not the 'going in' of the barb, it's the coming out...as it tears on withdrawal.

While alive, he actually predicted that, if he was to die in the 'line of fire', that is, doing what he loved whilst working with animals/reptiles etc...that it would be in the water. This is because he was agile on land and not so much in the water.

Man, I feel so much for his family, friends and employees.

Just in; the police have examined the footage of Steve's last moments with the stringray and have told the media that Steve didn't interfere with the stingray whilst swimming near it. He also was shown on the footage pulling the barb out of his chest right after he was struck with it, obviously whilst still underwater.

I may be a heartless prick for saying it, but I find this the most hilarious bad news in years.

The man has laughed in deaths face for how many years?

And then in most peaceful moment of his career, not even interfearing with the deadly but usually harmless animal he is stabbed through the heart and killed.

God had the last laugh with this one, and I will join in with him. Gleefully.

When I heard about this yesterday I couldn't stop laughing. Admittedly I was more than under the influence which didn't help the matter.

EBphotography said:
We had a long talk about this at work today, being in the same business of educating people about wildlife and such. :( Very sad. My thoughts are with his wife Terri and his daughter.:(
Lets not forget to mention that not only does he leave behind his wife and 8 year old daughter, but he also leaves behind a 3 year old son! That right there is what really tears my heart out, because I have little ones and the thought of leaving them behind is unbearable.

Sorry I forgot to include his son, but I think the point is still the same..

bace said:
I may be a heartless prick for saying it, but I find this the most hilarious bad news in years.

And then in most peaceful moment of his career, not even interfearing with the deadly but usually harmless animal he is stabbed through the heart and killed.

When I heard about this yesterday I couldn't stop laughing. Admittedly I was more than under the influence which didn't help the matter.

I'll agree with the first part of your first sentence.

sad news, but at least he went in an interesting way .....

bace said:

I'm sure no one has not noticed the irony, sure....

Sorry to get all serious but I see nothing funny about it at all though.

To me, it's one of those times where, when someone well known has died, I actually truly feel like the world (especially his kids) has lost someone special.

I've been watching footage of him and interviews he did, over the years and ....wow...what an amazing person he was. No bull**** with him, ever.if one was half as passionate and real as he was, then they'd be a great person.

I know it aint a shock saying this Bace, but that was kinda sh1tty and offensive mate.

bace said:

i never come over here, and this is the reason, but i couldnt let this slide.

it amazes me that you are still allowed to say the most nasty awful things, and it be swept under the rug with " thats just bace"

i guess hitler was just hitler, and saddam is just being saddam.

last time i check, it wasnt supposed to be a religious forum... and
believe me, God doesn't laugh when people die... EVER.

i know four year olds that exhibit more adult behavior...and more adult empathy than you, bace...

you have always pushed the mark. one day... it will push back.

and in your little pea brain rave-style world, your gonna look around,
after doing stupid crazy dangerous things, and say, man, that stingray stabbed me in the heart.

wonder if you will hear laughter?

chase, and all the mods, do you not think you should have deleted his post? or is cruelty laughed at and joked about?

this family lost a member... the nation lost a powerhouse star and the world lost not only a talented person who gave to animal world, a super star... but a wholesome person who never said an unkind word to anyone...about anyone.

bace, you should be ashamed of yourself... go ahead and make yourself look bad, but quit spewing your venom like a cobra that steve irwin would be kind to.

The way I see the whole thing is this...

The Croc Hunter seemed like a great guy, he was entertaining to watch and his shows were educational. He seemed like he really knew his stuff, and spent his life learning more and more of it. It made my skin crawl to see him handle those huge snakes, most of them poisonous. But I hate snakes anyway, even if it's just a little ole' chicken snake.

But he could never perfectly predict an animal. You'd see some of those snakes striking at him all the time, and the crocodiles would come after him quite a bit too. But he was always able to get away, etc.

My view on his death is that he tempted fate one too many times. But he died doing what he lived for and loved doing.

aprilraven said:
i never come over here, and this is the reason, but i couldnt let this slide.

it amazes me that you are still allowed to say the most nasty awful things, and it be swept under the rug with " thats just bace"

i guess hitler was just hitler, and saddam is just being saddam.

last time i check, it wasnt supposed to be a religious forum... and
believe me, God doesn't laugh when people die... EVER.

i know four year olds that exhibit more adult behavior...and more adult empathy than you, bace...

you have always pushed the mark. one day... it will push back.

and in your little pea brain rave-style world, your gonna look around,
after doing stupid crazy dangerous things, and say, man, that stingray stabbed me in the heart.

wonder if you will hear laughter?

chase, and all the mods, do you not think you should have deleted his post? or is cruelty laughed at and joked about?

this family lost a member... the nation lost a powerhouse star and the world lost not only a talented person who gave to animal world, a super star... but a wholesome person who never said an unkind word to anyone...about anyone.

bace, you should be ashamed of yourself... go ahead and make yourself look bad, but quit spewing your venom like a cobra that steve irwin would be kind to.

Here's where the difference between stating an opinion that nobody agrees with and bashing said member comes in. While I don't agree with the opinion of Bace in any sort of the way, nor do any other people that have posted following his remarks, it is his opinion and he is entitled to it. We do not tolerate attacking of members of this forum no matter how much we disagree with what they are saying. The moderators and admins decided to leave Paul's comments because other members will state their view on his opinion and, thus far, have stated their own opinion without lashing out. Let's please continue the behavior exibited by the other members from now on. :D

So if somebody we know dies is it alright for him to laugh about it? I hate to post this but those comments were offensive. Especially since I know if one of our board members had passed away that the comments would not be tolerated. Sure the guy is a superstar that most people in the world know and have never met. But come on, he is still human. How can you laugh at his death?

I know that if I were a family member of his I would be pretty ticked reading that. I guess different places have different standards.

i never come here either, probably because i dont like arguing with people over my opinion. that being said, the comments made here are just that, opinions. sme people feel he was a tremendous human being, others disagree. to save myself from feeling the need to justify my opinion when i should not have to, ill save my comments on the subject. what i will say is this. this forum if full of peoples opinions and rarely do i ever see anyone get flamed because they have a negative opinion. today, this thread is the exception. i have nothing aganst anyone here and im not trying to single anyone out, but i think its rude for anyone to put someone else down because they have a different point of view on a subject. theres a very distinct line between responding to something said with an intelligent contrasting opinion, and degrading someone for their God given right to have a difference of opinion.

like i said, i have nothing against anyone here personally. but like everyone else here, i have my opinions and am entitled to them. in my opinion, if someone feels the need to attack someone because they disagree with them, then they should do it privately, and not in an open thread.

as always, i apologize if i crossed a line and if a mod feels this post should be deleted, please feel free to do so.

my condolences and prayers go out to his wife and children. God bless them.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back