Crop feature on dslr's

hamlet

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What exactly does the crop feature do on a dslr's? Does it do the same thing as if you cropped in post?

yes, but in some cases like shooting DX mode on an FX sensor, say my 24MP sensor; I'm capturing ~12MP images, so my buffer might not fill as fast and some bodies that allows faster FPS.

Last edited:
Are you referring to smaller than 135 format (35 mm) image sensors (crop image sensors) or the crop feature many DSLR cameras have that can be used to post process an image?

As noted some DSLR cameras (both FF and smaller) also offer shooting aspect ratio photos that do not use the entire image sensor, like how Nikon FX cameras can use a smaller central APS-C size portion of the FX image sensor.

What exactly does the crop feature do on a dslr's? Does it do the same thing as if you cropped in post?
Yes the 1.3 crop factor on the D7100 will use a smaller part of the sensor, the advantage is that the buffer will not fill so fast and the D7100 will bump up the FPS from 6 to 7
So the advantage of using the 1.3 crop is more operational then anything else.

Yes, you can crop in camera, and you will still have the original file along with the cropped version. You can also straighten, but I prefer to do both those on a larger screen so I can see more exactly what I'm doing.

Changing the aspect ratio can be useful. Actors, for example, almost always require their headshots in 4:5 aspect ratio. It is much easier to shoot (especially if shooting tethered to a computer) if your frame is already 4:5, rather than cropping it later - it helps the client see exactly what their shot will look like.

Now that makes at least four different answers based on four different understanding of what the OP's question was.

1. File size.
2. Crop factor.
3. Cropping in camera.
4. Changing aspect ratio.

Perhaps if the OP is so disposed, he would re-state his question and pick one of the above answers as the one he was looking for.

OP has lightroom v5 and PhotoShop too at his disposal.

Changing the aspect ratio can be useful. Actors, for example, almost always require their headshots in 4:5 aspect ratio. It is much easier to shoot (especially if shooting tethered to a computer) if your frame is already 4:5, rather than cropping it later - it helps the client see exactly what their shot will look like.
My small & furry clients will definitely appreciate that. :encouragement:

Essentially, it will allow you to shoot faster and will give you smaller files, both huge advantages for some. I do use the aspect ration change crop mode (4x5) on my D800 some as a compositional tool.

Now that makes at least four different answers based on four different understanding of what the OP's question was.

1. File size.
2. Crop factor.
3. Cropping in camera.
4. Changing aspect ratio.

Perhaps if the OP is so disposed, he would re-state his question and pick one of the above answers as the one he was looking for.

There are several factors. The answer is, yes, specifically, it is exactly the same as cropping in the photo editor later. A crop is a crop.

If for example, if shooting cropped APS DX frame size on a full frame 24 megapixel camera...

It is smaller files, and fills the buffer less too.. It gives an apparent telephoto effect (any cropping and subsequent enlargement does that too).

But there are a couple of large downsides.

Instead of 24 megapixels, you only have 10 megapixels. It is a crop, which is a smaller file, and is sometimes adequate (certainly for snapshots on the computer monitor), but it takes getting used to again. :)

And a 24 mm lens no longer sees a wide 24mm view, but instead sees a cropped 36mm view now. Not even quite a "normal" view now, instead a slightly telephoto view for DX. So you lose wide angle capability, unless you stand back half again farther (assuming 1.5x crop factor).

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back