Crop Or Full Frame?

I shot with a 30D and L lenses for 6 years. I've shot with a FF and the same lenses for the last 2.
As a test I ask you to go view my 12,000+ images randomly at this link:
Flickriver Random photos from Phil Marion
It sorts them randomly. Look at the photos and decide if you can tell the difference between FF and the crop sensor. You would be hard pressed to tell unless you printed large versions of them.
The FF sensor will help get shots in dim light that the 30D wouldn't do as good a job with.
Lenses are more important than the body. Upgrade the glass and then when you have the cash upgrade the body. That's the route I took. Bodies become obsolete after a few years - the glass lasts longer. I wanted another crop sensor and was sick of waiting for the 7D II so I bought FF.
Many people spend as much as they can on an expensive body and buy a body with features they never use. And while using the cheaper kit lens they wonder why they can't get crisp photos or shots with minimal depth of field.

Yeah after looking around more and reading these posts and more reviews I've opted to go with upgrading lenses before going for a new body later on down the line.

My sigma 30mm F1.4 arrived just an hour ago and I've had time to take some test shots. It seems to really be a great lens and I can't wait to try some street shots with it being that its a as close to a 50mm equivalent I could find.

How long have you owned the Canon SL1? How long have you owned your currents lenses? I would strongly advise buying a full frame, even an older 5D Mark II, until you define your particular shooting style. I'm considerably older than the original poster, but picked up the hobby within the same time period (Fall 2013). GAS creates a lot of temptation, though your current gear is probably more than sufficient for your skillset and hobbyist interest.

If speed is a major concern, I suggest buying a fast prime (F1.8 or better) at a 30-35mm focal length (50mm equivalent). A fast 50mm-equivalent is fine for most indoor zoo exhibits and work double duty for street photography. Full frame cameras with "pro-grade" 24-70mm f/2.8 are heavy as hell and noticeable in public. Achieving a sharp image is a non-factor if you never capture the moment. If you really catch the photography bug, you will undoubtedly have an opportunity to buy better gear at a later juncture (e.g. the latest and greatest), and, hopefully, have a a bit more expendable income to fulfill your stylistic needs.

I'm not sure that going out and getting a FF camera to decide where the OP wants to be is the best idea. Getting some faster lenses that will work both on crop and FF will be better use of his resources, personally rather than buying a 5D2 at a time when it will likely be further eroded in value when the 5ds/r come out. With limited resources glass is a better investment. A good nifty fifty will be a good start, and a good quality second hand 70 - 200 and possibly a teleconverter for the longer stuff.

Derrel's suggestions for the Canon pancake lenses is sound, although these are EFS lenses so will only be good on APS-C. Glass will hold its value better than bodies, so if uneasy, this is a safer way to go. Get the best you can afford in the way of glass and it will pay you back with better images even on your rebel.

hmmm. Switching from crop frame to full frame is a lot like going from 35mm to 4.5 x 6 cm (medium format) back in the day. Full frame will give you a bigger brighter viewfinder and a shallower depth of field (focus). As to "is it worth it"? That depends.

Most reactions

Back