Crumpler 7MDH too big, should I go with 5MDH or 6MDH?

Brick

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apparently photography stores avoid Arkansas like the plague. There's not a place you can buy a Crumpler bag in the state.

Since I couldn't try them out, I ordered a 7 million dollar home online and the thing is huge. Way bigger than I need - so it's going back. It's about the same width and height as my crumpler laptop bag but I hadn't considered the extra depth. As I'm going to be traveling with the bag I'd like one that's a little more of a casual size (one that doesn't look like I'm smuggling a child across borders). Yes, what I'm after is a men's camera purse - judge if you must.

I know these are very popular bags so I'm hoping someone who lives outside of the land that Crumpler forgot has tried out a couple different sizes of this bag and can help me out. Is the 6MDH too big for a bag I'll be carrying around everyday?

What will fit in it is actually not my biggest concern. I just don't want a shoulder bag that is the size of a backpack (which the 7MDH is). If my shoulder bag is the size of a backpack I might as well just buy a backpack. I'm looking for something that I can carry around comfortably. If that means I have to leave a lens or flash at home that's fine if that's what it takes - better than having something too big for me to want to carry around. For the price of the 7 MDH I can almost get a 5 MDH and a small camera backpack for times when I do want to have everything with me, but if the 6 can do both, even better.

But, what I'll be carrying is:
D90
Sigma 10-20
Nikon 18-55
Nikon 50
Gorillapod Zoom
And hopefully in the near future:
Nikon 35
Nikon sb600

Which I realize will not all fit in the 5 MDH.

Yes, I've read the specs on all the bags (watched the videos too), however, it's still difficult to get a feel for a bag without actually trying it on - which is what I'm hoping someone else will have done.

I find bags are a personal fit, so while the 6 might fit me, the 5 might be better for you. If there are no camera stores around, then send the 7 back, get the 6 and if you arent comfortable with that, get the 5, and if you arent comfortable with that, look at other brands.

Wish I could be more help, but bags are just like underwear, the fit isn't the same for everyone

I was in the same dilemma, and the one I settled on was the 6MDH (after returning the, too small, 5MDH). I have not regretted my decision so far.

It's the perfect size if you think the 7MDH is too big (which was in my case too).

I was in the same dilemma, and the one I settled on was the 6MDH (after returning the, too small, 5MDH). I have not regretted my decision so far.

It's the perfect size if you think the 7MDH is too big (which was in my case too).

Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

In case anyone comes up against the same struggle I did, I eventually decided on the 6 Million Dollar Home. It holds plenty but is not nearly as big as the 7MDH. In it I can fit my d90 with sigma 10-20 attached, 18-55mm and 50mm 1.8 with 2 lens spots open where I currently keep a a water bottle and sunglasses case. I pretty sure I could fit an additional prime lens, normal range zoom lens, and flash without much problem if I took out the non-camera gear. Took some pictures of a comparison between the 6 and 7MDH. You don't notice the size difference as much when they're right beside each other, but you can tell a big difference when you put them on. The 6MDH is big enough to carry a non-pro's photo gear while remaining small enough to carry around inconspicuously. The 7MDH is big enough and thick enough to tell people it's got something of value in it. The 6MDH is about the same size as my xs Timbuk2 (comparison below) and just looks like a normal daily use messenger bag while the 7MDH is nearly the size of my backpack. Also I should probably mention I'm a small guy, 5'8" 135. If you're 6'2" 220 the 6MDH might look (more) like a purse.

dsc3299.jpg

dsc3300.jpg

dsc3298b.jpg

dsc3296.jpg

dsc3303v.jpg

Most reactions

Back