CS4 is grainy???

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Stang8URMPRT, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Stang8URMPRT

Stang8URMPRT TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone. I'm new to these forums and came on to ask a question. I have recently bought CS4 Extended. I upgraded from an old version of Elements.

Now my problem. Grainy! If I open any picture I have in CS4, it appears very grainy. Almost like it is showing all the defects in the picture. At first, I thought this would be helpful in editing the photo, but that is not so. If I view the picture in any other program... Paint, Elements, Vista Slide Show... They look great. But when I open in CS4, it looks like poo... I will show ya.

From Paint:

[​IMG]

From CS4:

[​IMG]

Notice on the left side of my son's face, it is almost over saturated or over exposed in CS4... also my wife's chin.

Does anyone know how to fix this???? It's really freaking annoying!!

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm not exactly sure what you're seeing...maybe it's just hard to tell over the web.

My first though was to check what zoom level you are viewing the image at in Photoshop. In previous versions of Photoshop, things can look funny at some zoom levels. CS4 is supposed to fix that (although it didn't work for me because of my video card drivers, or something like that).
    Anyway, try viewing the image at 100%, or 50% or 25%...see if that changes anything.

It looks like the image is in RGB, so it shouldn't be a color space issue...but I don't know if we can rule that out completely.

3. NucleaRR

NucleaRR TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it may be a color space issue. As far as I know PS comes set to Adobe RGB which can change the way the image displays. I know that my default setting are that the workspace is set to Adobe RGB but when I save it is set to sRGB (sRGB IEC61966-2.1). This could explain the difference when it is viewed outside of PS. Also the color setting on your camera can affect this. You may or may not be able to set this. The industry standard for web based images is sRGB so it's safe to stay at these settings. This however restricts your color gamut but most people viewing it via the web can't tell the difference.

Here is some info if you interested.

Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sRGB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Adobe RGB color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Stang8URMPRT

Stang8URMPRT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    k.... So how do I fix this? lol. I'm not at all good with this program. Nor do I understand what ya just said. :)

5. Stang8URMPRT

Stang8URMPRT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Here is another example....

Photoshop CS4:

[​IMG]

Just uploaded to Photobucket:

[​IMG]

6. NucleaRR

NucleaRR TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From the above post it appears to be a color space issue.

OK to fix it.

In PS go to the Edit tab click it and in the drop down look for Color Space or Color Preference at the bottom. Select this. A window should pop up with a couple drop down windows in it. One will be to select the working color space (the way the files view in the document window) I would set this to sRGB. There should also be a setting for how files are saved default is usually sRGB so you shouldn't have to changes this. These settings will make your files view similar to the other programs you listed. When saving file make sure that the correct ICC color Profile is selected in the SAVE window.

I suggest going with the sRGB because the standard for web viewing is sRGB. This is also the standard for computer monitors since '98, I think. Basically anyone who sees your images via computer will view it in sRGB so it is best to adjust your pictures for this standard. It gets more technical when using other color profiles, you have to have the monitors to display the color gamut.

One other thing that I have noticed and may be what you are seeing...Recently I scanned an image that my sister gave me, to digitize it and remove red eye. The image had a screen like effect in photoshop while working with it. Almost like someone had turned the sharpness to max. Once I removed the red eye and saved it, I viewed it outside of PS and it looked tons better. Ever since then I feel like I notice this more and more. It's as if the images have a flat look to them when viewed in PS.

Good luck making the changes. And let us know how it comes out.

7. Stang8URMPRT

Stang8URMPRT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the help and advise! I tried doing what you explained. It was already on that setting. I played around with all the different settings, and clicked "more options" were it gave me a saturation adjustment for the monitor. I pulled 15% out, and it looks better, but it's still really blotchy. I'm stumped!

Nick

8. dkf10425

dkf10425 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Make sure your monitor color space is the same as your color settings in Photoshop. Also in Photoshop go to View-Proof Set Up and check "monitor RGB".

9. Stang8URMPRT

Stang8URMPRT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, you really helped me here... Pointed me in the right direction. If I click View>Proof Colors it makes the image look PERFECT.

But... How the heck do I make this permenent??? It would be nice to not have to do that step every time I open a photo.

Thanks guys! We're getting there!

Nick

10. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The last 2 just look under exposed to me. H

11. CW Jones

CW Jones TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    your zoomed way in.... that could be a large portion of your problem. I believe you are zoomed almost %50

12. Stang8URMPRT

Stang8URMPRT TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the responces, fellas. Like I said... I found the "fix", now I just need to figure out the way to make it permenant. Thanks!