Curious questions....

jvankampen1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, and I thought I would take the time to ask some of the questions that I have had for quite some time, but have never asked...

I am a young photojournalist near the beginning of my career, and I would like to know how AP, getty or staff photographers for large publications transmit their images from remote locations. What programs, computers, equipment do they use to trasmit photos from desolate areas, potentially without electricity, satellite coverage, etc to their photo editors in real time?

I have recent learned of the Nikon D2H digital SLR's capability of remote transmission, but what exactly does this mean? Is this function similar to that of a bluetooth chip mobile phone that is able to send information via laser?

And finally, how do sports photographers operate the cameras placed in strategic locations, such as above basketball backboards or on NFL fieldgoal posts?

Thank you very much for your time in reading my posting. I look forward to your responses. Have a great day and weekend!

Ok well I can answer your first question. My buddy shot the Iraq war he used a D1 and had a laptop with a SAT modem so he just uploaded them to the newpaper server. Not sure if it worked from all location but I kinda think it did.

As for the second im not really sure about the D2 but sounds like a blue tooth thing to me. I cant possible see how it could be a Sat thing.

The Prof,
Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it! As far as a SAT modem is concerned, where would one buy this type of hardware and approx. how fast is it? Is it like a 56k modem? Does it require a telephone line to connect or does it operate like a cable/dsl modem? Thanks!

Not sure where you can buy one, he lives in NY so im sure he got it there. as far as the moden goes its Satilite so no wires at all, I think its a bit faster that 56K but not sure. He aslo uses a Sat phone. The Military use all this stuff as well.

the WT-1/1A wireless transmitter for the D2H isn't bluetooth its IEEE802.11b Wi-Fi. it can connect to either a computer with a wirless network card or through an acces point. its range is about 100'

Most reactions

Back