custom diffuser?

wgp1987

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so as some know. i got a 200e speedlite and that shiz is too bright! so i am just wondering if anyone has sugestions on a makeshift diffuser to please my histogram! i was thinking about using paper or a sock? lol

If it's too bright, your problem probably isn't the softness of the light.

How are you using the flash? How are you setting the flash power? How are you setting the exposure?

If it's too bright, your problem probably isn't the softness of the light.

How are you using the flash? How are you setting the flash power? How are you setting the exposure?

well the flash is a old canon 200e speedlite. it is not compatible with ettl so it will fire, but only full power. i figured a diffuser would be my best bet for keeping photos from being washed out. right? i droped the exposure -2 and the flash's guide number is 20/1m so even something 2m away at f10 (-2) is washed out. i cant afford a flash right now and i will be doing some photo shoots soon. what else can i do? i figured a makeshift diffuser would help?

The exposure from flash is controlled by a) the flash power and b) the lens aperture. (also ISO).

So if the flash is too bright, then set an ISO as low as possible and stop down the aperture (higher F numbers) until your flash exposure comes into line.

If you take the flash off-camera and put it on a light stand you can control the amount of light hitting the subject by changing the distance between the flash and the subject.

The Inverse Square Law

Or you could use a off-camera cord and hand hold the flash to bounce the light off a ceiling or wall.

Well you can also make a bouncecard as well and, try bouncing it. I was going to put you to Peter Greggs site but, he got rid of making a better bounce card video now.

Most reactions

Back