D100 vs D70 vs D50 vs D40

If you really want to play with primes and really want to have autofocus support, you can either get a D50 or D70, or wait a few years for Nikon to get their prime lineup updated. Sigma has a 30mm f/1.4 HSM which is great, and supposedly they have a 50mm f/1.4 HSM coming too. Every month that goes by, the limitation of not having the old screw drive motor is becoming less and less of an issue. It's sorta like when the Apple iMac came out and it didn't have a floppy drive built in. People all screamed bloody murder, but look at where the floppy drive is today. It's ancient history. A lot of these newer AF-S lenses give you far more than just AF-S. They're flat out superior optically and better optimized for digital sensors as well. The Nikon 70-300VR is a great example. It's $500 vs $300 or $150 for the older ones, but blows them both out of the water in terms of image quality.

Amen!

The D100 in an antique, forget it.
If you're willing to restrict yourself to AFS only autofocus lenses, go with the D40. If old F-mount autofocus matters, D70 or D50.
I own a D70 and am quite happy with it. I'd consider moving for the newer D40 for its compact size and better LCD, but i'd lose AF with my older 35mm f/2.0 lens, which I like using from time to time.

See D70 reviews and D40 reviews

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back