D200 ISO - How Low?

sween

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I should probably know this, but in trying to shoot fall foliage and moving water today, I wanted some long-exposures. What I really needed were several seconds worth of exposure but couldn't get it because the D200's lowest apparent ISO is 100. In doing a two second exposure at 100, the shot is washed out bad. Is there a way to get the ISO lower, like down to, say, 64? Sorry, I'm tired and lazy after tromping around with camera and tripod today in the woods and was looking for the easy way out by asking to see if you guys know. Thanks...

You willl not get much lower, what you need is a ND Filter.
That willl allow you to get long exposures during the day

High ISO is what's in demand... I wish they would pay a little attention to the other end too.

Lower than 100 - ND or Film.

50 & 25 would be nice options on a digital body...

You willl not get much lower, what you need is a ND Filter.
That willl allow you to get long exposures during the day

Thanks, great idea. That raises another question for me: How well, or if, does a neutral density filter work with a CP, which I was using? The CP produced some pretty fair results. Back in my film days, using a filter on a filter was not out of the question. I used to piggyback a CP with "B" type warming filter, which is still around here somewhere collecting dust. This gets confusing, no?

Agreed, I'd like to get down around 25 ISO for what I was doing today. The lack of low "speed" on a dSLR is one more argument against the need for a tripod, I suppose. Absent night shots, what's the benefit of a tripod if you can't get your shutter speed way on down?

Nothing has changed. Film, digital, piggybacking filters always had issues with additional flare and potential vignetting. If it doesn't do either then you're set. Btw a CPL naturally I think gives you between a 1-2 stop reduction. However ND come in many types including 9 stop which would effectively turn your ISO 100 to ISO 0.2. This is the type of filter used to get silky smooth water in the middle of a sunlit day.

High ISO is what's in demand... I wish they would pay a little attention to the other end too.

Canon 5D has ISO 50 equivalent. But anyways, I think the OP's question has been answered.

This low iso that some cameras have is a trick to get around the native low point of the sensor and analogue to digital converter. It often comes at a cost of quality in the dynamic range department.

This low iso that some cameras have is a trick to get around the native low point of the sensor and analogue to digital converter. It often comes at a cost of quality in the dynamic range department.

Yeah... you can "extend" the ISO range on many cameras, actually. As I understand, it's nothing more than a gimmick.

:thumbup:

Yes! Depending on the subject, my favorite films were Kodacolor-25 for the brief time it was available and Kodachrome-25.

Most reactions

Back