D300 or 70-200 2.8 VR?

I think I would sell the S3 and go with the Nikon D300 It's a great camara.
I had a D200 and loved it.

Scott

My Fuji S3 works great with the 70-200. I believe it's got a better image than the D300, (color and dynamic range), though not as many bells and whistles. I'd go for the glass too, it'll make that S3 really rock.

My Fuji S3 works great with the 70-200. I believe it's got a better image than the D300, (color and dynamic range), though not as many bells and whistles. I'd go for the glass too, it'll make that S3 really rock.

Bells and whistles being better ISO performance, faster FPS, better screen, a higher-quality body build, etc.

Yep - you're exactly right. That's the fundamental difference between a camera made by a film company (Fuji) and one made by a camera manufacturer (Nikon/Canon). The one is all about accurate color, dynamic range, skin tones... and the other is all about faster, stronger, bigger...

Dave knows what quality of images he's getting from his S3 and I doubt that he will be getting equal quality from the D300. Though it would be interesting to hear from someone who made that switch.

Bells and whistles being better ISO performance, faster FPS, better screen, a higher-quality body build, etc.

MUCH smaller highlight latitude..

People buy S3's and S5's for the highlight range that nothing can touch.

Personaly I would go with the D300. I upgraded from a D1X ( 3 actually) to the D3. My wife has a D300 and it rocks. We have a couple of older 80-200 f/2.8 lenses and they perform very, very well with both cameras. I would get the camera and save up $4-500 for a used 80-200. In the long run I think you will get more use our of this combo than the S3 and the VR.

For the $5000 the D3 costs, may I suggest a used D2x body and the lens? Ta-da!

Otherwise go for the glass, definitely!

Lucky guy...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back