D300 or more lenses added to my d40

I had the D70s and was severely limited by the body in less than a year. If you are really into photography, I say upgrade the body first. If you don't feel it is limiting you, then go with the glass.

All the great glass in the world won't change you can't hardly print above 8x10 (or crop much) with the older/beginner bodies without severe quality loss.

I agree about being limited fast by the body if you really get into the hobby. I've felt the same things with my D70s.

I however completely disagree about not being able to print larger than 8x10 on an older body like the D70s. I have a 16x24 (and other's that I've sold) hanging on my wall that looks everybit as good as it does in a 4x6, 5x7, or 8x10. Not a pixel in sight and perfect clarity.

It's called bounce flash.... works like a charm indoors...

I was gonna say the same thing. An SB-600 is a lot cheaper than the upgrade to a 70-200 f2.8.

I however completely disagree about not being able to print larger than 8x10 on an older body like the D70s.

I'll bet it was not cropped, which was what Lynnca was talking about. Take an 8MP shot and crop it 60%... your biggest quality size is a 4X6. Take a 12MP camera and crop it 60%... your biggest quality size is WAY bigger. That is the point she was trying to make, and it is a VERY valid one.

The OP needs to probably re-focus the purchasing in a staggered order. I went through the same issues when shooting stuff for family, personal, etc. when I was shooting indoor stuff.

GET A FLASH!!! SB-400 at a minimum, maybe a -600 if you have the extra cash (it's $80 more than the -400); an -800 if you get a great return this year from the IRS (Or Pres Obama pushes a stimulus package!)

When shooting indoors, I have yet to see a flash that has the ability to keep up with a 3-5 fps burst rate, especially if you're shooting with fast glass; what I'm trying to say, is that if you buy a flash, your D40 and 55-200 VR will be pretty awesome (my SB-400 takes about 4-6 seconds to recharge on a fresh pair of AA's)

NEXT STEP

Upgrade your body. Why? Well, I'm at a similar stage, and I'll provide the rationale. You're shooting low light and mucking around with f-stops, etc. and you realize that, crap, you don't have a dial to adjust ISO manually AS WELL as exposure comp. Hmmm, D40 is menu driven to accomplish any of that, and you can't really select any "in-between" ISO's to fine-tune your shots. You'll miss your shot - and a potentially really nice one!

I still wouldn't go for a 70-200 f/2.8 when you have an upgraded body, because I've become a fan of the primes, and I think an 85 f/1.8 with a nice flash (and you running around a little bit to compose better) will serve you better, get you MUCH better shots, and will be significantly faster than a zoom.

Oh, and the 85 f/1.8 won't AF on the D40/x/60 bodies, so that, combined with acceptable ISO up to 3200 on a D90 are the reasons I'm looking into the "big" jump. . .

As JerryPH pointed out though, it's a balance; the D300 is getting outdone by the D90; the D400 will be out soon, possibly a D400x, or a D700x, etc. Nikon is MINTING it right now and isn't letting up on production models, so one is faced with body over glass - I think if it wasn't for the fact that I'm actually hitting a wall, and would like a little more noise suppression at higher ISO's, I wouldn't even consider it since all the nice glass I'd possibly consider (14-24 AF-S, 70-200 AF-S) can focus on a D40x. . .(except for the prime's I've mentioned). . .

It's called bounce flash.... works like a charm indoors...

Yes but flash photography is not always on option. The OP was asking about camera bodies vs lens so that was my thought why lens would make a better investment. I'm going to get an SB-600 soon though, so yes, I agree with you.

Yes but flash photography is not always on option. The OP was asking about camera bodies vs lens so that was my thought why lens would make a better investment. I'm going to get an SB-600 soon though, so yes, I agree with you.
Well glass is always the better investment but, in his case he can get both if he shoots lower on the body upgrade. Getting away from the D40 will help him much more when upgrading to more glass later.

ztough one. If you like you D40, definatly get the lens/es you want. If the D0 40 just isnt working out for you, the d300 definatly would be a good chice. And if you get the grip, the 8 FPS would be very helpfull to have with those action shots.

Most reactions

Back