D300 shooting in virtual darkness 6400 ISO

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by sabbath999, Feb 25, 2008.

1. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Just thought you might like to see a shot I took Sunday of a fruit bat in virtual darkness with my D300 and 105 VR Macro f/2.8

The shot is taken like this: 1/25th, f/3.0 (the 105's actually are variable f/2.8 to 3.5), 6400 ISO, I shot it center weighted metering, no flash, auto white balance (what is the proper white balance for virtual darkness?), VR on.

The blurriness was from the animal moving a bit, I handheld it but I had the Macro up against glass with the VR on, so it was pretty steady. The animal was eating and swaying just a bit.

The only PP done is just a tad bit of cropping to square it up. Noise is present, but it was either take this or get nothing.

I shot this (and a bunch more in virtually no light) and the camera autofocused perfectly... with both the 105 VR and the 70-200 f/2.8 VR. It was so dark I couldn't see the through the finder well, I had to guess where to put the focus points and wait until they turned red to see them.

[​IMG]

2. Cool, really impressive, esp. the fact that the auto-focus found something.

Wouldn't it be simpler to pre-focus, and turn AF off'? Aren't you worried the lens is going to hunt around? Or do you AF lock once you've pulled focus (I use a Canon SLR, I assume Nikons have an AF lock function as well.)

3. sabbath999

Photos OK to edit
    I actually couldn't see well enough to focus manually. I couldn't see the focusing dot (I generally use single spot) except when it turned red, and since the animal was moving around I was having trouble trying to track it, let alone trying to actually focus it by using the spot plus the little green dot in the viewfinder... so I shot one out of curiosity and found that the camera was focusing accurately (the animal was moving but the branch it was hanging on had a part in focus) so I just went with it. I expected absolutely nothing out of it, I was doing it more out to see what would happen. The lens did hunt a bit, but there is no way in that light I could have manually focused with any accuracy, since I was shooting absolutely wide open with a fast lens there is depth of field to help out. You can see that the front of the animal is much more in focus than the rest of it... and this bat is only about 2 inches thick from deck to keel.

4. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm impressed. Of course, I bought a Rambler once so what do I know?

5. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow! Now I really can't wait to get the D300!

6. EricBrian

EricBrian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very very cool. Man, this is an awesome shot.

7. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    kind of looks like the rabbit from donnie darko. well if you just look at its head.

neat shot. the noise isn't awful at 6400. whole new world up there, in the thousands.

8. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I think he meant to set the focus via distance #'s on the lens, but with a short depth of field and no light, that would be just as hard as doing it TTL.

The shot looks amazing though! That looks like ISO 400 in my d80. Hopefully I can afford to upgrade at some point this summer and turn my d80 into a backup. The possibilities for fast shutter speeds in low light seem endless.

9. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

Really impressive. Nikon is making some good bodies as of late.

10. domromer

domromer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    wow! So no noise reduction at all?

11. sabbath999

Photos OK to edit
    No noise reduction outside of the camera body at all... the only PP on it was I cropped it about 5 percent to center up the image a bit.

If I can figure out how to do it I will post the full file later.

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    "virtual darkness"... if that means the same thing to you as to me (meaning that with the naked eye, the bat was more or less not visible due to the low light), then this shot is really nothing less than amazing.

I've seen a few ISO 6400 shots from D300s and yours looks about average in terms of noise, but ,wow, thats still a really good shot.

The point that the focus is not on the eyes, under the circumstances, is truly nothing more than nitpicking. :)

Thanks for sharing.