D3200 red lines around focal points, hot shoe loose.

AXIS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I bought my mom a flash for Christmas and decided to try it on my D3200 as I plan on buying one for myself soon as well. When I have the flash on the camera, I get a bunch of red lines (short horizontal and vertical lines) around the focal points. I assume that something is wrong as this isn't something I've ever seen or heard of before. The lines go away when I take the flash off and they seem to go away if I move the flash a bit. My hot shoe doesn't seem very tight either. I can't flex the flash to the right of the camera at all but if I put a tiny bit of pressure on the flash towards the left the shoe lifts up a good bit.

What do you guys think is going on? Loose hotshoe causing some weird issues? The Flash is a Yongnuo YN468-II

Ok, I feel dumb but I figured out what the lines are. The flash itself projects them wherever its pointed to aid the autofocus. I never had that option on until today so it seemed like it was a problem with my camera alone.

The only remaining question is how expensive is hot shoe repair/replacement? Mine is too loose for me to feel comfortable mounting a heavy flash on. Or is there a way to tighten it? It seems like only one side is loose.

Last edited:
I have no idea what Nikon would charge, but you can find out by sending it to Nikon.

I was hoping to get an idea of what others have paid before doing that. Considering I can get another D3200 for $300 refurb I don't want to pay too much for repair considering the camera still works perfectly fine. But if its cheap and quick, I wouldn't mind. Everything Ive read said they won't really give you a price over the phone, you have to send it in for them to look at.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back