D40 or D60?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pongerts, Jul 26, 2008.

1. pongerts

pongerts TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello! i'm new here and new from photography. I just recently lost my Sony P&S digicam, and considered it a sign to move on to a dSLRs. I've always been interested with photography and getting a good dSLR is a my first step to becoming an amateur photographer.

My question is which would be better for me? A Nikon D40 or D60? These are the only available models which are in my spending bracket. To add to my question, which of the two would have compatibility when it comes to lens selection?

I do hope that you guys could help me. I'm really interested in gearing up with a new camera! :)

Thanks and I hope to post my first captures in this forum very soon.
    :)

2. AF44

AF44 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D60 if you can afford it... i have a D40 and love it but hey if you can afford the next step up then go for it!

as far as lens compatibility all new nikon lenses will fit on it ... there are other brands that make nikon mount lenses and they should work fine too...

welcome to tpf, looking forward to some photography from you soon!

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree, the D60 is a more versatile camera BUT don't forget, the the camera body is only part of the equation. There are lenses, filters, perhaps a tripod to consider. Before you make a firm decision one way or the other, head down to your local camera store, play with both cameras and have the salesperson go over the features with you. As well, explain to him/her what sort(s) of photography you are interested in, and discuss accessories.

Remember, the camera is just a recording device; you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between an image taken with a D40 and a D60, but you will be able to tell the difference between an image taken with a $75 third-party lens and a $1000 Nikon 'gold-ring' glass. Do you need the $1000 lens? Probably not, but you do need to be aware of your options.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing some of your images!

4. D40

D40 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    D40, I think the D60 is not worth the extra money, they still do not have the AF motor:( You might as well get the D80 or D40 if you are on a budget.

5. toofpaste

toofpaste TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're so easy to read. :lol:

6. photocat

photocat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have to agree. it's not just the camera or the lenses... there are alot of accessories that can go along...

7. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd say go for the D40. Although the D60 has many more features and some more megapixels, there really isn't that much of a difference between the two. More pixels are nice, for sure, but I've printed many A4-sized photos from 2mp crops from my D40, and they look fine. Sensor cleaning is also a handy feature, but I can get the same results with a £5 rocket blower (you can even use those 99p mustard bottles if you're really short on cash :lol:). In my opinion, the D60 seems to have too many features that make you think "Now that would be REALLY helpful!" at the beginning, but in the end you could do without them. I'm not saying the D60 is an awful camera, though. They are both fantastic, and if you're already leaning towards the D60, go for it. I just think you should either get an entry level, but still phenomenally capable, D40, or go up to the D80, which is strictly a "big-boy's toy".

Also bear in mind that the camera body actually doesn't contribute that much to the image quality. Lenses, filters, and most importantly, your knowledge, take a fantastic photograph, not a fancy camera body.

Whatever you choose, I really hope you enjoy the camera. It's a big world out there.....

8. Crazydad

Crazydad No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Truthfully, you cannot go wrong with either one. I personally went with the D60 because of the VR kit lens. I am just starting out so I don't already have a collection of tripods or monopods and I had a strict budget, so there was no room for extras like that.

9. Applefanboy

Applefanboy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Get the D40 and save for a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8.

10. Resin42

Resin42 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I recently had the same debate when buying my dslr. The VR lens and the on board sensor cleaner look very appealing as do the extra megapixels but I decided to spend less and save towards more kit so I opted for the D40. I 've never missed the extra MP and my lens fund is looking healthier every week. I think I made the right decision.

11. pongerts

pongerts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks guys for your comments and advice. I'll be checking them out this week when i get my short leave from the office. I'll also be checking out available lenses that I can afford. Thanks again guys! I hope I hear more opinions from you. This site/forum is very very good!

12. potownrob

potownrob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit