D40 VS D70

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by katanapilot, Jun 6, 2007.

1. katanapilot

katanapilot TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Guys

For those of you that have had both these cameras, what can you tell me that one does better - or is better for than the other...

:)

2. katanapilot

katanapilot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  3. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Lemme use an analogy that we both get:

The D40 is a Honda Nighthawk 250, the D70 is a 1990's Ninja 500EX. . .ones clearly designed for beginners, the other is designed for someone with more "experience" under their belt, but if used properly can definitely be a good entry-level camera.

4. katanapilot

katanapilot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

HAHAHAHA
    Man I just spit out my beer when I read the 1st sentence, well damn I thought I had the GSXR 1000 :) well If the manual was illustrated in motorcycle terms I would be an expert photographer!!!

thanks for the insight.

5. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ignore the D40. It has no autofocus motor. Oh that is unless you don't want to be able to use a whole host of cool lenses that exist on the second hand market, or even some just basic necessities like a 50mm f/1.8.

I'll just say the same thing I say in every other thread. Suppose you have a D70 which costs a few hundred dollars more than the D40 and you want to buy a macro lens. There's 2 105mm macros from Nikon. One has VR and an AF-S motor, and the other is just as good but without VR, and can be had second hand for less then half the price. You take the latter option, you have a better camera for less than it would cost to get the cheaper camera and an almost identical lens.